Native Fish Tank

Slough Shark

I would really love to keep burbot in an aquarium, however, as mentioned before they require a chiller, and can get quite large and I just don't have the accomodations fr that size, nor do i have the money. :(

Also, I have heard from my cousin, who works at the Provincial Museum, that the museum has not been able to keep burbot alive in their aquarium, they haven't been able to keep spottail shiners either. I think I remember hearing that they couldn't keep the yellow perch alive either. Too bad.

That is to bad I would love to see a cold water tank with some of these fish in it.

Brad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had all the fish(pike ,perch,walleye,shiners,burbot)plus other native fish in aquariums and they all did well northern pike were my favorites I grew one from half inch to 28 inches pike are awsome aquarium fish

As a kid in southern Ont. I used to have Chubbs Shiners Sticklebacks Bullheads Stickelbacks Small mouth Bass and Crayfish Caught from local waters where I lived.

Done a number of Canadian natives in the past myself, but my faves were the sticklebacks...fascinating nesting behaviours

definitely

Pike are cool, but would need a huge aquarium, even for small (6"-12") specimens.

Burbot would be funky, but you would require a chiller to keep them alive.

ive seen much bigger than 6" hell i caught a foot long bastard once let him go

Pike are cool, but would need a huge aquarium, even for small (6"-12") specimens.

Burbot would be funky, but you would require a chiller to keep them alive.

ive seen much bigger than 6" hell i caught a foot long bastard once let him go

oops srry quoted the wrong person im :drunk:

yeah btw i was trying to quote the guy talking about the yellow perch thats what i was talking about with the foot long fish it was a perch he was big

can anyone verify wether or not the jewel cichlids are still alive in banff? or should I call the park to find out? The jewels in our tank are the girlfriends favorite(and pretty high on my list as they're fearless little bastards) so we're thinkin of maybe headin out there one day to see them as we both think it'd be pretty cool :D

can anyone verify wether or not the jewel cichlids are still alive in banff? or should I call the park to find out? The jewels in our tank are the girlfriends favorite(and pretty high on my list as they're fearless little bastards) so we're thinkin of maybe headin out there one day to see them as we both think it'd be pretty cool :D

...and thriving as of last summer, so I would imagine so, yes.

Permit ? Whats a permit.One time while collecting Iowa darters in Burnstick creek I was approached by a fish and wildlife officer we talked I told him what I was doing he was good with it just told me they could never be released back into the wild anywhere.

Permit ? Whats a permit.

Canada is lot stickier on protecting our natural habitat and native species, which I see as a good thing

Permit ? Whats a permit.One time while collecting Iowa darters in Burnstick creek I was approached by a fish and wildlife officer we talked I told him what I was doing he was good with it just told me they could never be released back into the wild anywhere.

when was this. I would think that even 6 years ago would make a huge diferance.

It was about 12 years ago and Burnstick creek is in Alberta. I think fish and wildlife has better things to do than worry about a few native fish in sombodys home aquarium