Native Fish Tank

Slough Shark

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fair argument for sure, but I suppose the Gov't can't just go around handing out permits to anyone, I mean they could break the law and start taking endangered species into their homes for their personal enjoyment. But then, anyone could do this, so the thought works in favour of both sides of the argument. No matter how much we debate it, I seriously doubt we can change "the rules" and if we break them, then we risk a certain fine I think I remember hearing about earlier.

Buhumbug!

Edited by Slough Shark

No matter how much we debate it, I seriously doubt we can change "the rules"

I agree with this, you could take your arguments to parliament but it is highly unlikely it will go anywhere

it would make more sence to just give out colector permits and be able to sell them. I think that they should also have some thing like report a releaser, and have very heavy fines for people releasing and kind of animal with a permit, such as the bird rehabilitation places.

just my 2 cents though.

Brad

Just checked my Alberta fish book (first printed in 2003) and there are no endangered fish in the province some are rare or at risk but I don't think a kid with a butterfly net is the reason for this also found out the goverment releases millions of non native fish in this province and they have the nerve to threaten sombody with a fine for keeping a few minnows in a fish tank

Wow, that is to say I'm not entirely shocked, but this does eem a little strange. Are you sure they were non native fish as opposed to fish species that are dying out here, but brought here from other provinces to replenish the population? That would certainly make more sense than introducing non native fish like the Common Goldfish for example.

I'm sure! The only native rainbow trout were in the Athabasca river drainage and that strain is now threatened because of the introduced strain of rainbows. Also introduced by the goverment or thier employees where Brown trout ,Brook trout,Golden trout,Yellowstone cutthroat trout,Dolly varden,Smallmouth bass and grass carp.Many of these introductions have displaced or threatened native species

Yes they did but these were the most harmless introductions they only released smallmouth into Island lake north of smokey lake and the carp were genetically engineered triploids with a low probability of reproducing but they are anyways.The indroduced trout seem to have caused the most problems and enjoy the protection of goverment regulations as do the Jewels,Mollies and mosquito fish in Banff even thou they were responsible for the extinction of the longnosed dace

Did they seriously introduce Smallmouth Bass,
Yes they did But it has been a long time since any were reported as being caught. Besides which the lake is most likely dead now as it has severely dropped over the last 10 or 15 years.

As far as I understand the gov. only introduce fish after an extensive environmental impact study. As for trout a lot are being restocked in water shed areas where they have been decimated by mans interference (ie. clearcut forestry mining etc)

Just checked my Alberta fish book (first printed in 2003) and there are no endangered fish in the province

Maybe not as a hole but in individual areas some lakes have had populations of certain species whiped out. And I do believe there is a total ban on Sturgeon fishing for a reason. Interestingly enough though Treatie Indians can net entire lakes, but are only aloud to keep the whitefish everything else that gets caught in their nets usualy ends up dead. That is a major influence on a lakes population of large mature fish.

Yes they did but these were the most harmless introductions they only released smallmouth into Island lake north of smokey lake and the carp were genetically engineered triploids with a low probability of reproducing but they are anyways.

According to the fisheries boys, the carp are not reproducing, though.

The indroduced trout seem to have caused the most problems and enjoy the protection of goverment regulations as do the Jewels,Mollies and mosquito fish in Banff even thou they were responsible for the extinction of the longnosed dace

Yes and no, the introduced gamefish are regulated as such, but the Banff springs fish have greater protection than do even bull trout.

And I do believe there is a total ban on Sturgeon fishing for a reason.

Correct, and a zero keep on bull trout as well (and on walleye in many fisheries).

Might as well put the Three spined Sticklebacks at Hasse Lake west of Edmonton on that list of introduced as well.

A good book for this is The Fishes of Alberta by Joseph Nelson and Martin J. Paetz .......it includes all known introduced, even collected but not established fish