Poisonings

Qattarra

I've been seeing the TV cermercials a lot lately and now even know users, they use the "anti-bacterial" lotions and such.

Now if you put on this lotion and it keeps you from picking up germs from other people, what happens if you get your hands wet with my aquarium water? If that 3 year old, wearing the stuff, reaches in while no one is looking? or puts something into the water like a net that has been handled?

I know that for myself, I wont even use those soaps or kleenexes just incase it leaves residue. Water changes and inside of the tank glass cleaning happens every week, my hands get very wet, I'm usually almost up to my armpits in the tanks, I worry about what's on my skin, but now I'm worried about these products that may inadvertantly now get into my tanks........Anyone know how effective they are and ever see any results from such happenings? Sue

I heard about a study that tested all the anti bacterial soaps and hand sanitizers out there.

I believe that they found that they were mostly useless, didn’t do a thing. I can’t remember what products they tested but the study found that there were not as affective as using good old soap and water.

I take precautions for myself but now I'm more concerned with visitors lol As for me I wash and use a surgical scrub brush to clean my hands nails and arms.I even make sure I've cleaned off any deoderant to make sure if I have to reach deep (shortarse here), that I don't palute the water. lol

I have seen your tanks and I see you, Buy a wet suit lol.

-roll-

If this soap kills bacteria and we are covered with bacteria, wouldn't it just be worse for us in the long run to kill everything that our bodies have become accustomed to over the centuries anyways??

I dont use it for that thought but never thought of what it could do to a aquarium

I usually just was well with hot water and after I am done tank stuff then I use soap to get off what the fish water put on

My 2¢

Don't worry about a "SHORT" supply of brooms, You tried chasing me before and I walk faster than you run. P.S. please call and give me advance notice when you're coming over to visit my wife.

Don't worry about a "SHORT" supply of brooms, You tried chasing me before and I walk faster than you run. P.S. please call and give me advance notice when you're coming over to visit my wife.

We don't need to worry your lovely wife with this kinda stuff lol And yeah I'm short , so it does threaten to swallow me up when I'm cleaning tanks.....hummm....and yet I still want a bigger one, sucker for punishment.

Funny, I hadn't thought much about getting anything bacterial from the fish tank, only worried about my causing the contamination. I'll have to suds up after the cleanings. Good advice Mathew and Fatpuffer. thx.