Snails or shrimp?

Sam Chicklets

Which snails are best for algae control? I'm thinking of getting some snails for algae control in one of my tanks and wondering what works best. Or is there non predatory shrimp that work well for this job?

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I would go with bristle nose pleco. In my experiece, they are one of the fastest algae controller...well that or ottos.

I have 3 ottos in each of my tanks, but was looking for something different for a tank with a pair of breeding Angels. I am also considering a B/N for my 75g planted tank.

I have some trumpent snails I can bring out to you in the new year. they breed like crazy

Sounds good my friend, but how crazy do they breed?

I have some trumpent snails I can bring out to you in the new year. they breed like crazy

Sounds good my friend, but how crazy do they breed?

I have around 100 now started with one 6 months ago. They do also stir and clean the gravle.

Brad

All right bring some and I will give them a try Thanx

Also if you dont over feed the tank you shouldint have a problem with over population

Thanx for the info

Zebra snails are great for algae control.

IME, Trumpet snails are great for keeping the sand clean but dont' do too much for cleaning decorations or the glass.

Shrimp or good algae eaters but you need to use them in large numbers to really see a dent in the algae if the problem is bad. Also in a tank with angelfish the srhimp will last 2 seconds before they are eaten. I threw in 10 amano shrimp into my tank with an angelfish and they were all eaten before any could swim into the plants. IF you really want shrimp I suggest testing it out with some cheap ghost shrimp first,

Thanx Val I was kind of wondering if they would last, my angels get fed well enough w/o giving them that kind of expensive dinner. Lobster anyone LOL