Taking Fish on West Jet?

Nyasa

I remember reading a thread a while back about West Jet's regulations for carry on luggage and whether or not bringing a bag of live fish was permitted.

My brother-in-law is flying back to Kelowna tomorrow night and I was going to give him a bag of fish for his aquarium. Does anyone know if this will be a problem?

I don't know if they will allow you to bring that amount of liquid on board. But found this....

Dear WestJet Guests:

Effective November 6, 2006, at 4:00 a.m. E.S.T., Transport Canada has announced the following changes to the current restrictions on carry-on baggage, until further notice.

Guests will be permitted to bring liquids, gels and aerosols through security screening at Canadian airports provided that the items are packaged in containers with a capacity of 100 ml / 100 grams (3.4 oz.) or less – instead of the previously required 90 ml / 90 grams (3 oz.) or less – and that the containers fit comfortably in one clear, closed and resealable plastic bag with a capacity of no more than 1 litre (1 quart).

Guests may continue to bring aboard baby formula, baby food or milk if a child aged two years or under is travelling.

Prescription medicine with a name that matches the guest’s ticket, insulin and other essential non-prescription medicines will continue to be permitted.

Baby formula, baby food and milk, when guests are travelling with a child aged two years or under, as well as prescription medicine and essential non-prescription medicines are exempt from the container size restrictions and are not required to be placed in a plastic bag. However, all such items not in a bag or in containers over 100 ml/100 grams/3.4 oz. must be declared to screening authorities.

Cigarette lighters will be permitted in carry-on baggage in the same clear, resealable plastic bag as liquids and gels. They must be disposable (such as Bic) and presented at security screening. Other types of cigarette lighters (such as Zippo) will not be permitted in carry-on baggage. No lighters of any kind are permitted in checked baggage.

Liquids, gels and aerosols can be placed in checked baggage but will be at the guests’ own risk. Any of the above mentioned items will be confiscated at pre-board security screening.

At time of check-in, WestJet customer service agents will give guests the option to remove any restricted items, which are not in a clear, resealable plastic bag from their carry-on baggage and place them in their checked baggage with the exception of cigarette lighters. These restrictions currently apply to all flights including transborder into the U.S., domestic and international. Due to possible delays at security screening, guests are advised to check in a minimum of two hours prior to departure.

All these restrictions are subject to change. For updated information on these or other Government of Canada security requirements please visit; www.tc.gc.ca or www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca or phone 1-888-294-2202.

If you have any questions regarding your travel arrangements with WestJet, please contact us at 1-800-538-5696.

With the rules seemingly to change almost daily, I would try calling them if I were you. Also call airport security as they also have their own rules regarding carry on.

Ignore this as Wendy beat me to it. -01-

Edited by Vapor

Thanks alot Wendy,

I was just checking on their website myself. I will try calling ahead to confirm. Sounds like it may be OK with your luggage. It also talks about pets being allowed with prior approval. I haven't flown anywhere in years now. It sure seems like you need to be up to the minute with these regulations.

David.

I just phoned them and it does not sound as though it is at all possible to take fish on passenger flights whether it is carry on luggage or checked in luggage.

In the past they allow you to carry on any animal that will crap in a box but not one that craps in water.

They would rather you clean up your dog poo that stunk up the whloe plane but dont want to chance water on the floor

I have done it in the past, but I dont know about know. I do know that you can send them as cargo.

Brad

In the past they allow you to carry on any animal that will crap in a box but not one that craps in water.

They would rather you clean up your dog poo that stunk up the whloe plane but dont want to chance water on the floor

As said before I hae done it before the threat that happened in London.

Brad

I've taken a bag of fish on board with me after the no liquids rule. Security didn't give me any trouble. Seems like i always end up bringing fish back with me from trips. But i've only done this travelling domestically.

I don't think I would want to take that chance. What are you going to do with them when they say no?