using salt with fry

Vallisneria

Is it ok to add some salt to a tank if there are fry in it?

I added a rusty adult that was getting picked on to my 10g fry tank. She has developed a bit of white fuzzy patches on her side. I was wondering if it is ok to add a bit of salt to the tank even though there are fry in there with her. Will the salt hurt the fry?

Can you add melafix in with fry? or would the salt be better?

I"ve been keeping water quality good. Since its a fry tank it gets water changes ever 2 days and that doesn't seem to be helping her condition.Thats why i'm considering other options

rahim- i think you have gone a bit to exclamation point happy

LMAO, I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Val - adding salt most likely won't help that fish, and if the fry aren't use to having salt in their tank it may cause them some osmoregulatory stress. Personally, I think it's a waste of time, and that fish would be better served by receiving salt baths, than exposing the fry tank to a salt treatment. I would be more concerned about what sounds like possibly some type of fungus, spreading to the fry.

A good read on using salt in a freshwater tank. http://aquascienceresearch.com/APInfo/salt.htm

ok well i haven't had time to do a salt bath on my poor fish yet. She seems to be the same as before(no improvement). I was hoping to finally do the bath tonight but i'm a little confused about how much salt/water to use and how long she shoudl be in the bath?

I have been reading up on salt baths as a treatment and every article gives a different answer or they give it in %(i woudl prefer it in tsp as i can't convert very well :rolleyes: )

SO how much salt adn how long for a bath?

Place 4 teaspoons of salt in a clean bucket, then slowly add one gallon of water from the aquarium, swirling it to dissolve the salt. Once the salt is completely dissolved, place the fish in the bucket for five to thirty minutes. Observe the fish closely, and if it exhibits any signs of distress, return it to the original aquarium immediately.

disclaimer - I have no idea if this will help solve your fishes problem, but it's a general guideline for salt dips.

Thanks, That was actually one of the articles I would probably have follwed. I know it may not help her but i want to try something. I'm going to try a salt bath and if that doesn't help i'm going to see if pimafix will do anything(i kind of want to see if it actually works)