Plan for tank Rack

Molino

I've put together some plans for a tank rack that will hold 2 75 gallon tanks and since I have not built a tank rack (or stand for that matter) before, thought some other opinions could be helpful. It would be made out of 2X6s.

In addition to what is shown on the diagrams I was thinking of some corner braces under the top shelf to add strength and maybe 2 more on the bottom shelf in the back.

View from the front:

75rack-530w.jpg

Views from the side and of the shelf construction from the top which will be 2X6s on end.

The vertical 2X6s will have sections cut out of them to allow the shelf to be inset into the legs, and I would also be adding plywood on each shelf.

75rack-2-530w.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Edited by Molino

Are you planning on keeping an elephant in each tank? This design is far stronger than you need without any bracing. You won't have any problem with this design

If you paint the rack use kitcen and bath paint. I find that it water cant get thought the paint if you use it. I painted my stand with two coats of primer and 3 coats of gloss black paint.

I can post some pics next week when I get home of the two stands I made if you want.

Brad

but if anything I was thinking of putting some verathane on them. That should help keep them fairly water resistent.

I used Latex based Varathane on a hardwood floor and it stood up to almost everything including water. It cures fast without all the toxic fumes.

This is just my experience. I have in the past left my stands unpainted and have had warping problems. I do not think it had anything to do with spilling or leaking water they just warped. Yes they where 2x6's even 4x4's, I should be smarter seeing that I have been painting professionaly for 20ish years. In my opinion the varathane water based or oil based will be fine (two coats though minimum). I have been painting my stands with one coat wood primer and 2 coats Acrylic latex (kitchen and bath paint). No more warpage!!!!

I hope this helps and good luck with your new tanks.

Happy New Year!!! Al

Edited by Allan

I found that tanks that were at floor level got neglected (I'm at the help! I've fallen and can't get up stage), took longer to drain or clean (due to limited downdraft capability) and were no fun to look at. I would suggest moving every thing up 13" higher and using the bottom for storage.

This is just my experience. I have in the past left my stands unpainted and have had warping problems. I do not think it had anything to do with spilling or leaking water they just warped. Yes they where 2x6's even 4x4's, I should be smarter seeing that I have been painting professionaly for 20ish years. In my opinion the varathane water based or oil based will be fine (two coats though minimum). I have been painting my stands with one coat wood primer and 2 coats Acrylic latex (kitchen and bath paint). No more warpage!!!!

I hope this helps and good luck with your new tanks.

Happy New Year!!! Al

I do agree one coat of primer and two coats of paint would be enough, but I like to over do it with every thing :blush: .

Happy New Year all :drunk: :drunk: :beer: :beer:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll end up putting on a few coats of verathane. Didn't know there was a latex based verathane, sounds like a good idea!

As for the tank on the bottom, I thought it might be too low, but I did want to stack two high and have 14" clearance above the bottom tank and the shelf above it. Considering that and the fact that the top of the higher tank will be close to 6 feet made me decide to put the bottom tank fairly low.

• 3 weeks later...