my fugly tank stand

Barracuda-m

Heres a couple of snaps of the stand hubby made me at work, for my new-to-me 230 gallon monster. (Thanks Neil!)

Its made of steel, it holds 10,000 pounds of weight per square inch and the wheels hold a little over 4,000 pounds each, distributed weight. We estimate that the filled tank will weigh slightly under 3,000 pounds.

The stand will be behind a wall, and cabinets will be built in underneath, so its more esthetically pleasing, as well as functional. We plan on builing the tank right into the wall.

Enjoy!

100_1330.jpg

100_1329.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would majorly concerned about the PSI on the floor caused by approximately 500lbs on each wheel. you will probably have about 1000 psi on the floor at each wheel which unless sitting on concrete could cause real problems.

oh, forgot to mention, it's in the basement, and the wall behind it spearates the living room and dining room. The floor is concrete with hideously ugly lino covering it.

I thought the wheels weren't a fabulous idea either, but hubby is the professional, so I trust his judgement :)

The wheels are a very bad idea...if even one fails (and I would not trust any castor with a 500lb load), you will have a major disaster on your hands...and the 'benefits' of having the wheels will be minimal...I doubt you could move the tank even 10% filled.

I agree, looks like actual contact to floor is maybe 1 square inch....? Potential loss, broken tank, how many beloved fish, how many hours of preperation, water damage to anything electrical sitting on the floor, forst 6 inches of all the walls, anyone on that floor who may get electricuted or hurt by flying/floating glass when that tank hits the floor...? Sounds like a major catastrophe that needn't happen. I think the frame has tons of potential . Built in cabinets, sump space, smaller tanks for breeding or rearing. I can't wait to see the end product, rhat's a huge tank and it's going to be grandios to view. Sue

Also not to mention that the casters will sink in to lyno and you wont be able to move it. It also could crack the floor with around 500lbs on that small of an area.

Brad

When I was a plumber, I had many many oportunities to install basement bathrooms. In order to do that, the floor had to be broken out to accomodate drains for the toilet, showers, sinks, etc. The surpriseing thing is, in some places the concrete was less than an inch thick, covering massive hollows where the subgrade had either settled, or washed away outright. Casters are a less than good idea.

See, I see this:

1. Assuming that the tank is going to have a sump (and assuming at least 60g for it), you are looking at somewhere close to 4200 total pounds when full, with gravel, rocks, etc.

2. All of that weight, 3500-4200lbs, will be resting on the 12 little, tiny ponts where the castor housings are attached to those thin little castor axles...little axles that will very likely get wet now and again, and rust a bit...and weaken. Now I do not think that those castors, even when new, can hold that kind of weight.

3. If that tank falls (and it would take only one corner castor breaking), and anyone is anywhere near it, they probably have a good chance of being dead when the dust settles. If no-one is near it, the impact will likely shatter your basement floor, and you do not want to know what that would cost to fix.

it holds 10,000 pounds of weight per square inch

Assuming that the stand has a top surface area of even [1" x 60" L (x2) x 18"w (x2)] 156 square inches, that means it holds 1,560,000 lbs, the same weight as four average diesel railroad locomotives...which simply is not possible...somebody seriously goofed on their calculations.