my fugly tank stand

Barracuda-m

Assuming the stand, and castor's will hold the weight....Dead load only....

Realize this....there is no such thing as a concrete basement floor that is perfectly flat. As 'flat' as many may look, they all have very slight elevations and depressions in them (some quite a bit worse than slight)

You may set the tank up in a spot where all 6 castor's have direct contact with the floor.....roll it 2 feet and you may only have 5 in contact with the floor. If a corner castor comes off the floor, that stand could torque and the tank will crack....followed shortly there after, by all hell breaking loose.

A disaster waiting to happen.

Tony

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies :)

I complained and complained to hubby and his little team of engineers for the last 2 days, and after hearing a lot of "the wheels are engineered, they'll hold a truck! You can't get these at Canadian Tire! We use them at the shop for moving everything!" he's finally agreed to brace the entire underside (from stand bottom to floor) with more steel. It'll be nice and flat, and secure.

The wheels were put on so the stand could be moved easily into the house, and they left them there.

Assuming the casters will be fine there is also this problem mentioned earlier.

When I was a plumber, I had many many oportunities to install basement bathrooms. In order to do that, the floor had to be broken out to accomodate drains for the toilet, showers, sinks, etc. The surpriseing thing is, in some places the concrete was less than an inch thick, covering massive hollows where the subgrade had either settled, or washed away outright. Casters are a less than good idea.

I would put blocks under the stand to Distribute the load over the foot print of the stand and not have the castors carrying any weight. This might have been an engineered stand and work in a perfect world, but I have yet to see residential buildings constructed to the specs that you would need for this setup.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Just my 2 cents worth, but why not just remove the wheels and let the tank rest on the floor

I think that there has been a lot of comments that would sugest this exactly.

I can't do it myself, and dear husband and crew refuse to do it. I tried, and the best I can have happen is full bracing underneath.

I don't like the wheels either, I believed they would be coming off once the tank was in the house, but no, they are staying where they are.

Nothing more I can do about it, don't blame me.

Well I wish you luck in this recipe for disaster

The wheels would be good for moving it empty for positioning etc. Like Nick said I would put it on wood supports like 4x4 or whatever would be slightly higher than the wheels and the wood would compress when the tank was filled sharing the load between the wood and the wheels while remaining at the desired height. When I worked in the hospital I would porter burn patients to the O.R. in mobile water beds. When I would push the bed into the elevator it would drop about 2 inches, most of that from the weight of the bed, rather than the weight of me. It was a lot of fun to get the bed rolling and even more fun to stop. And Toirtis, four locomotives even slaved together would need an engineer and his thermos, which would make the whole rig weigh 1560350 pounds which of course exceeds the stands structural limit.

Edited by HOSStile

four locomotives even slaved together would need an engineer and his thermos, which would make the whole rig weigh 1560350 pounds which of course exceeds the stands structural limit.

Just put the engineer on a diet and tell him no coffee for the trip. :lol:

Zinc plated castors don't weld worth a sh!t. Good luck with that. I'd scrap the wheel idea. Otherwise, good support.

There are tons of castors out there that have higher weight limits than these, you have to go beyond Rona and Canadian Tire tho to get them, and they arn't cheap. After doing a few quick searches on the net they would go for about $175-$200 a castor.

The stand looks good and strong, the wheels will hold the load, but others have the point on how are you going to do the final level of the tank. Seeing that you are going to block it up now make sure the blocks are close to the wheels as that where the support is needed, but I am sure that your hubby will look after that as it is a very sound design.