Ever been fish collecting?

Qattarra

Hubby and I are seriously thinking about Uraguay. He's not a fishaddict but he loves taking pictures and traveling. The trip is sounding good.

So have you gone? Where'd you go? Tell us about it Good stuff, bad stuff, mistakes to avoid etc. Sue :D :beer: :well:

I've never been myself, but I used to study a lot about collecting. I'm not sure where to find them anymore, but Eric & Kathy Olson have been to numerous places in SA - I think Eric runs the Aquatic Gardeners Association show, you may want to check there.

I am totally stoked about going on a trip with Spencer, too; but, mine's going to have to wait a year.

I have never collected anything but have swam in rivers and observed cichlids in Honduras and Costa Rica.

You really have to dedicate a trip to it in terms of equipment and prep. I think it would be easiest in terms of return flights if you could get back to Canada direct, thereby avoiding other border hassles with live animals.

Spencer Jack recently coolected in Urugauy, lots of cool gynogeos down there.

Spencer Jack just did a presentation on this trip at the last ACE meeting it looked really cool.

I would love to go, when I get the money. I am hopping to open my own my own pet store with in the next 10 years or so. Once I open the store I would love to go collecting for the store.

Brad

I've been thinking Fort Sask. could support a small pet store with its population and surrounding area. There used to be a family ran one here years ago that was quite successful until the mall went under management from Toronto. The only options right now are Walmart, or driving in to Edmonton.

I've been thinking Fort Sask. could support a small pet store with its population and surrounding area. There used to be a family ran one here years ago that was quite successful until the mall went under management from Toronto. The only options right now are Walmart, or driving in to Edmonton.

I remember that store that is how I got in to fish.

Brad

absolutely. i'd expect something to show up within the next 5-10 years given the forts growth. boom

I would love to go on a trip dedicated to collecting fish, I worry though on the red tape of bringing back live fish. Definately something to learn more of the ins and outs on.

Spencer said Uraguay does not require a visa, that what is required is the export papers(if memory serves), that when you go to leave, there is a vet right there at the airport to certify the fish, and that going through the states you simply declare to them that you and the fish are in transit, they leave you alone. Spencer said it is really easy to bring the fish back.

From what i heard from Spencer the Uraguay trip was pretty cool. I'd love to go check that area out myself. The fish down there are really fasinating, some stuff rarely if ever seen in the hobby up here. Alot of the fish to would survive in ponds during the spring/summer/fall up here too. Surprisingly resistant to the cold, can't wait to get some in! From the pictures I have seen the land is just so beautiful and untouched, shame it won't last like that forever. I'm sure someone will find a way to make money exploiting it soon enough.

Uraguay does not require a visa, that what is required is the export papers...it is really easy to bring the fish back.

Yes, that is rather unfortunately true....thanks to lax laws, Uraguay and Paraguay are also responsible for 'legitimitizing' tons of animals illegally smuggled out of Brazil and neighbouring countries.