Galaxy Rasbora

Osprey

They should spawn in typical rasbora/barb/tetra fashion. Try feeding well for a couple weeks, then do a large WC - like 50% - using cooler water (drop the temp by 5-10F). Using RO water may be necessary.

They'll be egg scatterers, I assume, so a spawning mop/java moss/marbles would probably be the best bet.

That's how I'd try, anyway.

i hope commercial breeding is already a go.

I believe that it is.

I think I'm going to be sick.

I had no idea, either.

wow. but of course we know the majority of people out there will buy them anyway. I guess the through the roof prices will deter the general public but still, people will buy them. I think people should tell local fish stores about this so at least suppliers know that alberta stores do not support overfishing and destroying natural habitat.

What needs doing more than that is a strong voice to the current government of the Union of Myanmar ( http://www.myanmar.com/ ) for immediate habitat protection and a complete ban on collecting.

What needs doing more than that is a strong voice to the current government of the Union of Myanmar ( http://www.myanmar.com/ ) for immediate habitat protection and a complete ban on collecting.

While I agree that this would be the ideal solution one has to consider that the political climate in Myanmar is what created the situation. In a different country that would have happened first and more importantly there would be an answer to the "do these fish really only exist in this swamp" question. So much of Myanmar is off limits that the world at large has no idea what interesting fauna might be hiding out there.

While I agree that this would be the ideal solution one has to consider that the political climate in Myanmar is what created the situation.

Ah, but that also creates the potential for the quick and complete protection of the species....military governments are notorious for laws and serious enforcement.

Doh, Osprey, you beat me to it! I just went and posted that link in the Galaxy Rasbora thread in the Sponsor forum... :P :P

Oh well. Sad story, and too bad. They're fantastic little fish. I hope the situation improves with fishkeeper breeding!

A former CAS president who is an excellent breeder in her own right, and Djay from this forum have bred the "brother" species, M erythromicron in species-type set-ups. I have bred the Asian Rummynose, Sawbwa resplendens, which comes from Lake Inle, and due to the the alkaline/medium hardness of the water, incurred no problems breeding them in a species set-up. So Calgary and Edmonton tap water should be fine for these beauties and I would expect successful local breeding reports on this forum soon. As for the commercial breeders/suppliers in the Far East, they are usually right on top of popular new species propagation and I'm sure they will be churning them out by the boxful asap.

Edited by syno321

• 4 months later...

Good news! They've discovered additional locations where 'Celestial Danios' (they'll always be Galaxy rasbora to me) live! Collection has been banned, as well... so it looks like the little guy's welfare is secure. All's well that ends well, right?

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1267