Help Needed

Doc_Polit

Hi Gang,

I just purchased a used 90-gallon tank for a very reasonable price.

It holds water, but the silicone has been redone by an obvious hack and is an absolute mess.

Is there anyone with experience re-siliconing that would be willing to help me re-do this monster. I am not looking to have it done for me, but for hands-on assistance so I can learn for future projects.

I will provide all necessary supplies and I am willing to compensate you for your time. Note: I am in Red Deer.

Please respond via PM. Thank you.

Two ways of doing it, one easy, one hard.

The easy way is to do it like this:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=11713&hl=

Then there is the way I redid one of my tanks (88g's?). I cut it all apart, and scrapped all the silicone off with a very clean razor blade. Took forever.

When it was all finished, and all the silicone cleaned off, I washed and scrubbed the entire surface with acetone to remove everything from the glass, and resealed it with my father-in-law's help (4ft tank).

A real pain in the @$$. Getting the silicone off the glass and even worse, out of the trim. Not hard at all to rebuild it, but the prep work was hell.

Food for thought. :beer:

I never use acetone just windex. The liquid not the foam.