Odd Fish

spcy

Don't know if this is the right place for this post but here goes. I purchased some fish at a LFS. that were labeled veiled angel rams. Personally I don't think it's possible to cross an angelfish with a blue ram. These guys are about as round as a quarter they have all the coloration of rams with the exception of very large dorsal and anal fins. The closest I can come to identifying these fish is what are called balloon rams. I would really like to post pics to help ID them but I can't get the m*#*#* f*#&$#* camera to work. Any possibilities or suggestions on ID would be greatly appreciated. I will definatly keep trying for pics to make things easier. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Thats exactly what they look like. I thank you very much for a second opinion. I'm pretty sure I have 1 male and 3 females. 3 of them have the bright purple belly and short rays on the dorsal. 1 has more of a yellow head, light pink belly and 3 longer rays on the dorsal.

No problem buddy :D

I can't remember where but I read that they were line bred for curved spines to get that shape.

First hybrid cichlids I've seen I liked. :thumbs: Well, flowerhorns are ok too, but parrots...

Did you pick these up from the southside PJ's cause they had some funky ram hybrids when I was there the other day. Not as nice as those in the links but then again they were still small.

I don't think these rams are hybrids - just ugly -01- Kind of like the Balloon Molly, and many of the specialized goldfish.

I picked these up at Paradise in St Albert. And no they're not that ugly, these are nice looking fish for odd balls or I would'nt have bought them. Ballon mollies on the other hand are ugly, They look like something thats been inbred 1000 times or more, I'm surprized they don't have legs.

These guys are not hybrid but line bred.

• 10 months later...

I have both. I will try and get a good picture. There are noticeable differences that is for sure!

Thanks for the link Sam C !! ... I didn't know that they were called balloon rams ;)