Ideas for a pond

Fish Dude

Couple of things I would like to say.

Get some plants such as water lettuce or water hyacinth. They grow like crazy are cheap and spread across the water. This does 3 things, uses nutrients that algae would otherwise use to bloom, shades the water which also slows algae growth, and provides shade for the fish you choose to keep.

For a small pond like you have, koi are not recommended, and I would agree that the "engineered short digestive tract, goldfish are a little harder to keep. I kept Ranchus in my pond for a while. Consider if you fill your pond after last frost, guppies or other cooler water small fish. If I were you, I would for a first attempt, buy some healthy feeders, (not as easy as it sounds) but can be done, and pick and choose different colors if they would let you. These fish will triple their size in a season and have a lot of personality as they chase each other around. I would besides filtration, include aeration. I personally have a thousand gallon pond out back I just checked on them and spotted my comets and koi swimming around under the ice. Can't wait untill the ice melts completely to see how my guys are doing.