My Rams had eggs!

mitsukuni

I noticed that the two rams (still quite small) were driving everyone away from one corner today. Looked a little closer, and saw that they were guarding a clutch of eggs, laid on an amazon sword plant that was leaned back on a diagonal. They are taking turns defending them... I've only had these fish since mid-Jan, and they are still pretty small, so I'm not expecting fry anytime soon, but the fact that they're "gettin' busy" is pretty cool! :thumbs: The Discus don't agree with me, however - they can't believe the sheer audacity of these little yellow intruders driving them away from the side of their kingdom! :D

Edited by mitsukuni

Well, the fish are still very young, and the eggs have disappeared. This early in the game I'm not going to remove them to a separate tank yet - I think I'll wait till the couple gets a little more mature... ;)

Their first clutch was on the substrate, but this second one was on a leaf. Guess the driftwood is next? :D

• 2 weeks later...

They're at it again: third clutch of eggs, same place this time: on the broad leaf of an Amazon sword. Both are taking turns defending the corner, and driving any stray emperors or discus out of the nursery... wonder what would happen if I cut the leaf off and put it in a small tank by itself...? Hmmmm.... :huh:

Phil

• 1 month later...

Just found some more eggs, this time on the biggest piece of driftwood in the tank. We decided that this time maybe we'd move em, so I did a water change on the 60, but siphoned the water directly into a 10 downstairs. Moved the driftwood in there (it just fit, by laying it diagonally), moved a powerhead with foam prefilter from the 60 as well, and finally moved ma and pa ram down there. Temp is levelled off at 83* (remember they came out of a discus tank), and they're now watching the eggs again, after milling about for a bit wondering what happened.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed? From what I've read, Calgary water may be too hard for hatching, and I don't have a RO unit... what if I threw a little HOB filter on there with some peat pellets in the box? And I wonder how often I should change the water in the 10? Hmmm.... I'll keep this thread updated.

Phil

Just finished triming plants and revamping one side of main tank. found two small clutches of eggs both say about the size of a 25 cent piece only round like a ball.

I am assuming it was the Rams as they are the only egg layer in the tank that is near big enough at the moment.

Had to take them out so place em in a tall container with an air stone and some naja grass I was gonna toss anyway.

Hope they end up as viable as they are pretty clear and not white so there is hope.

My convicts in another tank is well another story I want em to slow the hell down.. lol probably close to 100 or so fry from two different pairs in the tank.