Acei - Double spawn

Leon71

One of my Acei spit out 8 fry last night. No egg sacs left. All is good. But, I noticed that she was still somewhat swollen. So I thought I would help her out by stripping the remaining fry and get her back to the main tank. When I stripped her, 9 new fry/eggs popped out, all of which have very little development. Just eyes and a very small body and a large egg sac. It seems to me that she had to be holding the first batch when she spawned for the second batch. On a side note, one of the other females is holding. Did she pick up some of the second females eggs?

Leon

Once I THOUGHT I had this happen, but wasn't sure, and figured my mbamba female that had the wigglers must have been different from the one that was actually holding. I now think she probably had two batches in very close proximity, but didn't hold them at the same time.

I've had this happen in the past with a pair of kenyi. She went 37 days with very little to no food through 2 batches of fry and the male was still after her . She was almost dead she was so exhausted after the ordeal. Another good reason to remove females to a nursery tank to raise their fry and recover from the stress of the birthing process.

That's the thing. She had been separated for the last three days of the first batch, and is still in by herself holding the second batch. I figure by the end of the week, she will spit the rest.