Recommend a new Canister

bosshog

It appears the Eheim is the winner for higher priced units, and Rena for the more budget concious. Bugdet (cheap) that is me. Thanks for all the input. I've got an old, old AC, that I've owned for about 20 years and was used when I got it. I would estimate it's age at 25 minimum. It's still running, not well, but still running. I think if I changed the impeller assembly it would be back to 100%. It is so old that the pickup tube sort of shattered into powder one day when I was removing it for a cleaning. Why can't the higher priced canisters last for half that long before motor and pump problems develop? Not sure why I'm so grouchy, must be post full moon syndrome. Next time I'm in the city I will have a look at the two brands and pick one up.

Brad

I'm not too sure what kind of additional life you'd want out of your 'higher priced units', but I've got an Eheim 2215 that I've had running non-stop for at least 13 years. Haven't changed an impeller, hose, nothing. The only thing I have ever changed on any of my Eheims has been the cottony filter material and one Eheim uses to separate the tubes from the rocks (they've got their own weird 'ehfi names of some kind) - they tend to get worn out with repeated rinsings. Pretty sure you'll find more people with 10 year old+ Eheims than any other filter out there.

Edited by African_Fever

I'm leaning toward Eheim. The reviews of the filters here are persuasive. The life span I was referring to is for the Fluval 404's I own.

Haven't had much luck with them. Great setup while they run, I did hate getting them primed, but once running they were good. A ten year lifespan out of a canister would make me happy. I just haven't got that kind of life out of the Fluvals, so wanted a little input into what others are getting out of different brands.

Thanks

Brad

Have been using both Ehiem and Fluval without issue.

Oldest Fluval in the house at the moment and running strong is a 403 close to 8 years old.

Haven't had the Ehiems as long but the oldest there is a 2215 over two years now without a blip. I do like the ehiem for back flush ability.(the classics at least, any with he intake tube connecting at the botom of the cannister will back flush easy)

I have an XP3 and 2 FX5's only troubles I've had are when using finer media in the FX5's they get air locks . Not too sure how but they are annoying and noisy. Once I switched to a more porous media the problem was alleviated and no problems since. I let one go for about ten months before I cleaned it. They are a lot quieter than one might expect for a filter that looks like a shop vac.

I'm using a Cascade 1200 currently, nice filter easy maintinence and assembly,really quiet, and reasonably priced, they have them at elite for 165.99 I believe.

Ditto on the Cascade. I'm running the 1000, and it is quiet, easy to maintain, and has lots of room for media. My wife gave it to me for Christmas, after she found it at Pisces a few years back for $100!!

I also have a fluval 404, but haven't set it up yet.

I'm also running a Magnum HOT canister on my red-eared slider tank. Great mechanical/chemical filtration, but not great for biological - the container is just not big enough. I also once had a Magnum 350, but I wouldn't get another. Clips to hold down the lid were flimsy, impeller was in the bottom of the sump so if you put it in storage wihthout invertin it you could count on a rusty impeller assembly...

AC's? No aquarist is complete without a few of these - great for temporary setups, quarantine tanks, moving setups around, etc.