OMFG help!

P@UL

my black mollie has about 5 white spots on it like small round dust balls on it i no for a fact this isnt good how do i treat this? and can it effect my clown loach or gouramis? my tank has been really f**ked up lately and my fish ''doctor'' is out of town and i dont no where to turn and chances are slim i'll be able to go to a fish store for help my mom could care less about my fish but thankfully my dad understands why i love this hobby so much

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your fish have ich. otherwise known as white spot disease. You can treat with quick cure at half the recomended dosage for 3 to 4 days then put some fresh carbon in your filter. Or you can use salt and temp. But at your experience level I would recomend th quick cure. You can pick that up at wal-mart.

What temp is your tank sitting at? It should be at aprox 25 (78). If it is turn it up to 82. Add 1Tbspn. of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons. Remember gravel and rocks displace water so take that into account when you judge your water ammount. A 20 gal may only be 15 gal of water. Desolve the salt in some tank water in a dish and then add the solution to the tank. Direct salting can burn your fish esp. the loach. Don't feed for the next 24 hours.After that do a 5 gal water change and add 1Tbl of salt again. Observe the fish see if there is any improvement. If they seem really hungry feed them sparingly. Keep the temp up for a few days or until you notice substantial improvement. Google Ich and you'll find treatments. If you have caught it early enough you may be spared a loss. Good luck. Sue

P.S. the carbon is to remove meds from the water :D

Edited by Qattarra

the water is exacly 82 how did u know? lol but wouldnt salt hurt the rest of my fish i dont really want to add salt i think i'll try the wal-mart stuff then salt but should i add some charcoal to the filter?

If you use the chemical (usually malacite green main ingrediant), you'll want to follow the bottle's directions. Be aware scaleless fish such as loaches are sensitive, use 1/2 treatment like spcy said. You'll add the charcoal to the filter AFTER treatment to clean the water. If you have some in your filter now you'll need to take it out. Add airation too, it'll help the fish cope. Sue

i agree with you shayesmommy but i just feel a bit nervous about adding salt to my tank and the book is called "the aquarium fish handbook" the complete reference from anemonefish to zamora woodcats

the only reason i would feel nervous about adding salt to a tank. Is a tank with loaches.

That being said. I would rather use the salt method then any other method.

Also i have no experiance with ich meds.

The one and only time i have had ich. I raised the tempature for about 7 days after the last ich spot was seen.

The only reason i never used salt was because of loaches and plants. but their advice is very good.

The salt will do several good things for your fish, best of them is help restore a good slime coat and protect their gills to allow them to "breath" easier. At the rate of 1Tbl. per 5 gallons, this is still very low salinity. Sue

if it's at 82F already, jack it up some as mentioned.

imo there is nothing wrong with a temp of 82F full time.

better metabolism/more active fish. it's about stability above all.

if going the med route, pull carbon during treatment.

heck, pull carbon for good. good luck