Floating ray

FishGeek

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine recently acquired a leopoldi stingray. When he introduced it into his 180 gallon tank, it has started to float at the surface. Any contact with the ray causes it to move, as if it is being woke up, and swims for a short time, but then returns to the surface and floats again. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine recently acquired a leopoldi stingray. When he introduced it into his 180 gallon tank, it has started to float at the surface. Any contact with the ray causes it to move, as if it is being woke up, and swims for a short time, but then returns to the surface and floats again. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it or did it struggle like it doesn't want to be at the surface? If not it might just be acting funny. If it seems like it can't control it's depth I have no idea what to suggest, the lack swim bladder rules out anything I've had experience with. You'd need to find somebody that has significant experience with sharks and rays, they're unique in this aspect.

My rays will frequent the top of the tank for a swim in the powerhead current, or the bubbler. If this is there is a source this could be it.

Also though if they are using canister filters and have no other surface agitation I would get some. My male Henlei has a bizarre behavior after an hour of no bubbler. He will go up to the top of the tank and then flatten out and curl his disc like he is dead. I am positive it is a lack of oxygen that makes him do this as you can literally grab him and he wont move. Turn on the air bubbler and he goes down again.

Rays especially big rays need highly oxygenated water due to ammonia intolerance and so I would make sure there is a ton in there. I have always said you could stick a knife through a ray and it will live, but mild ammonia will kill it in a heart beat! :banned:

odd, i did not post this thread.......?

What are you saying....? That someone logged on with your name and did this post?

UHM WEIRD! :eh:

I'll send you a PM and tell you the nitty gritty what I see... but it doesn't look like a hack or hijack... just a case of someone having AA on their computer at work and set to log in automatically... possiblity?

Hey all,

Firstly, apology to FishGeek. You left yourself logged into our office computer at work, and when I posted that, I thought I was signed in as myself. Secondly, we determined the cause of the Leopoldi stingray floating to be ammonia. It died after seven hours of floating. Gold's Aquariums in Calgary, where the stingray originated, gave my friend half of his $2000 for the ray back. Please make note that when introducing large rays into your tank, your best bet is to run the tank with a few big oscars or similar hardy fish with similar water requirements, and remove them no more than 2 hours before introducing your specimen into the tank.

Brad

PS: FishGeek, if you are still unclear as to who this may be, it's Brad S. from South Trail. Remind me to sign you out from our computer at the office so we don't have this confusion again.

Edited by Nandopsis

Color me confused, but are you saying that your friend introduced a ray to a tank that wasn't properly cycled, and this is what caused the fish to die? Sounds to me like Dennis was in an overly generous mood.

I would respond to the oscar statement, but the Ray is dead so lets get on with life.

I do feel badly for it though and was curious about the size of the tank, the other inhabitants and filtration if you don't mind sharing