Feeding veggies to plecs....

BigA

bought a zuchinni to feed my L81 and had a quick question. Does it have to be blanched or can it be raw? Can I use a fork or something to weigh it down? Does it have to be peeled?

you can just slice off a piece of Zuchini and weigh it down with a fork. I'm not sure if you need to peel it but I don't think it will be necessary.

No need to peel it. You can microwave it for about 20 seconds or leave it raw. I freeze mine in pieces. Some times just let it thaw. I have even put it in frozen to slow the Mbuna from eating it all up. They don't care, they still go after like crazy. I put an elastic around a rock with a fishing line and float. That way you don't have to reach to the bottom of the tank.

I feed zuchinni raw, use a spoon to weigh it down. (stick the handle through the veggie) I also tie a piece of fishing line around the spoon to pull it back up again. I also usually push a couple of NLS wafers into the zuchinni, so my pleco gets his meat and veggies in one meal. I have read that some plecos really like the skins, but mine just eats the middles. :D

Put it's in last night at lights out. Peeled it. Stuck it on a fork. When I got up this morning, I had a quick peek and didn't notice any activity on the slice other than a couple of snails. Heard that soaking it in water with crushed garlic can help attract him to eat. Any other suggestions? Don't want him to starve.

"Any other suggestions? Don't want him to starve."

My Pleco did not really care for the zuchinni- he prefers cucumber. I tried to get him to eat the zuchinni over and over- finally I decided to get a regular cucumber- cut off a nice sized slice- used an elastic to hold it on to a rock- the next morning, it was pretty much sucked hollow. I think I will try peeling the next one though, as he leaves the skin and I have to fish it out. Good luck

Well, it's been almost a week and I haven't seen him eat yet. I've put the zuchinni in a couple of times, and didn't see any noticable munching when I took it out. I have been putting in an NLS wafer everynight at lights out and those are gone when I check in the morning. No guarantee that its him eatng though. Where do I go from here? Do I just assume that everything is status quo and leave it at that, or keep trying until I have undeniable proff that he's getting some food? I'm starting to get worried that he's going to be belly up one of these mornings.

There are many plecos that aren't especially vegetarian, which could be why they're devouring the NLS, but leaving the zuccini. My BNs will completely devour a whole zuccini in a day and a half!

I go to the Italian market to get my zukes. I found they always have small ones. I preffer to feed from small young (under 7 ") zukes. My plecos don't eat from the large ones as well , but devour the small ones. I scrub them , slice it in half lengthwise and stick it with the fork. Usually completly eaten in 2 days, by the plecos and the fish. Sue