cichlids + butterfly fish

P@UL

Do you mean Pantodon buchholzi or Chaetodon lineolatus? They are bolth called butterfly fish but one is freshwater and one is saltwater.

Fun fact: the name "cichlids" refers to 1600 different species found all over the world.

Perhaps mentioning a particular species or group of cichlids would help people answer your question.

I have my butterfly fish in with severums and silver dollars, These fish are in the 5 to 8 inch range. So far no problems. However if I put any top dwellers 1" or smaller in the tank that mouth opens up like a hercules and in go'es the cargo. Yellow labs and zebras IME are nippy buggers and I woud'nt recomend puting butterfly fish in with them.

I would not mix africans and a butterfly fish. BUtterfly fish have lots of fins, stay at the top and don't move much, a prime traget for african attacks. Africans are aggresive and are best suited for african only tanks(unless you are experienced in mixing and know what you are doing).

So i'd say bad idea. Get one or the other.

I would not mix africans and a butterfly fish. BUtterfly fish have lots of fins, stay at the top and don't move much, a prime traget for african attacks. Africans are aggresive and are best suited for african only tanks(unless you are experienced in mixing and know what you are doing).

Only with Rift Lake africans. Riverine cichlids from western africa are from the same habitats as the butterflies and it would make an interesting and not commonly done biotope.

Only with Rift Lake africans. Riverine cichlids from western africa are from the same habitats as the butterflies and it would make an interesting and not commonly done biotope.

Yes, when I said africans I was refering to Rift lake africans.