Invisble ich?

Terrie Lee

Hello.

My fish seem to be acting strange. They are swimming in place, sluggish and rubbing themselves occasionally on the gravel upside down. (flashing?)

There are no white spots on them at all. Water parameters are normal. Nitrate 5ppm or less. Nitrite 0ppm and Ammonia 0ppm. Temperature is high. 81 F. Turned heater down in case it was the temp being too high. Temp is usually 78 F.

Added 5tsp pickling salt to water. Tank is "29g" but I think will decor and gravel it is closer to 25g.

Ich doesn't show itself right away as white spots. It does sound like ich though. I'd turn the heat up to 85 and the added salt should be 1Tbl per 5 gal so a total of 5Tbl. not 5 tsp.if it is 25 gal of water. The salt ammount does not evaporate so only add salt to fresh water for a water change. I'd keep this for at least 5-7 days to get rid of the ich. Sue

There was not salt in there before I had forgotten to add it after several major water changes. I brought the level of salt up to 5Tbs.

Darn it, I should never have stopped adding salt.

Ich can come in two forms I have found. The white salt/sugar sized spots, raised and itchy for the fish. Visable with the naked eye. The other form that I have just experienced was the ich that is located on their gills, not visable with the naked eye. The fish just started acting funny, shimming and flashing for no reason. water perimeters were fine. Just strange, until I remembered reading that ich can be on or in the gills slowly driving the fish insane as they have trouble scratching their gills, if they can at all. I lost :cry: most of my male guppies from this problem, treated them and the deaths stopped. Hope this info helps.

I have a whole bunch of Super Ick Cure in my house right now, should I use it and if I do are the plecos sensitive to the cure?

Is the invisible ich worse? I have had it before. Lost some fish, very traumatic. :cry:

I have a whole bunch of Super Ick Cure in my house right now, should I use it and if I do are the plecos sensitive to the cure?

Is the invisible ich worse? I have had it before. Lost some fish, very traumatic. :cry:

Personally I would stick with the salt and heat cure. Meds are sometimes quite harmful to certain types of fish.

29 gallon

7 swordtails (5 females 1 males)

8 platies (7 female 1 Male)

3 bronze corycats

1 mato grosso pleco (Thurber)

1 BN pleco (William)

1 gold nugget pleco

2 spotted snails

Various baby snails

The gold nugget pleco is only temporarily housed in this tank. I have a new 60g that he will live in. I know that they get too large for a 29g.

I added the ich cure at 1/2 dosage. The fish perked up right away and began swimming around. They are slightly more sluggish this morning. Hopefully they will all recover. They are eating, which I take as a good sign.

Fishies look sadder today.

I whoopsed and dosed yesterday at full strength.

They are still responding to food though.

WAH

:cry:

What temp are you runnung your tank at? I found tha swords do best around 25c

The high temp may be causing the sluggishness. If you are dosing with meds you should be able to turn the temp back down.