Making a simple cave

CalgaryFan

Here is an easy and obvious trick you can do to create a hiding spot for your fish. When I had some kribs in my tank, this is what I did and they seemed to like it.

- Take a plastic cup and cut it in half.

- Take some aquarium safe silicone, and use a popcicle stick or some sort of stick, or fingers to spread the silicone around the cup.

- Before the silicone dries, sprinkle some rocks, or sand on the cup, I used the sand that was in my tank at the time.

- Make sure you do it both outside and inside. And if you really want, you can silicone the cup to the tank bottom or on a rock, I just piled rocks on top of the cup.

- I also cut some holes large enough to fit the kribs in and out, in the sides of the cup.

And there you have it, a simple and cost efficient way to make a cave for your fish.

Ryan

When we tile our bathroom this weekend, I'll be making a few pleco/cichlid caves from some of the left-over tiles - just use silicon to make a tile box.

i have a site i can post if people want ...On making caves with pvc. and how to get the gravel around it.

i have also made a coconut cave and i love them.

And when my discus were spawning and in the main tank and i would steal the filter intake tube. I went to home depot and bought a box of small slate tiles. they are small and i think you get 6-9 per box for 5 bucks a box. they are for trim and stuff.

I have made it for a spawning cone type thing. but when the fish didnt use it.. I layed it on its side and all my fish love it.

i just thought i would post a picture. Its great its cheap and you can make it any size and shape.

post-1059-1173802614_thumb.jpg