Yo-Yo Loaches

Fish_Frenzy

Just wondering if anyone here has ever bred Yo-Yo Loaches?

I have 4 of them at 5" each and one of them is recently become VERY bright gold and dark brown yo-yo markings. Also, a different one has recently "Put on a few pounds" so to speak, very heavy looking belly. These 2 are inseparable.

Interested in comments and suggestions on how to breed them...well, I realize it's up to the fish to breed...lol. They are in a community tank and very happy there, unsure if i should move them or just see what happens.

Tammy :D

Well, got home from the auction to get a nice surprise....About 80-100 yo-yo eggs in their "cave"! They are guarding it pretty well right now, so I think I am going to leave them for now...see what happens! I am sooo excited!!

Tammy :D:D

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Holy crap! Congrats, Tammy!!!:thumbs: :thumbs:

I was going to tell you about what I've read about breeding some different loach spp. but sounds like you've got it handled.

Way to go!

Well, still some eggs there tonight...a few less though, I would say about 40 or so. Boy are they protective, Mama stays close to the eggs...Dad is guarding a little further out. They seem to "whisker" the eggs constantly...very cool to see for sure! I thought being Loaches they would gobble them up!! Mind you, they are very well fed lmao!

Also noticed my German Blue Rams being snippy...sure enough, BOTH pairs in one tank have eggs!! The weird thing is, with all the hidey holes and flat rocks in there...both pairs laid eggs on the gravel! Freaks!

Tammy :D

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Well, got home from the auction to get a nice surprise....About 80-100 yo-yo eggs in their "cave"!

Wow that is fantastic. Keep us posted on them.

Well, the eggs from the Yo-Yos are gone and I didn't find any fry so I am assuming they were eaten. :cry:

Although, in the other tank, both pairs of rams are still guarding their eggs...

I figure, if the loaches bred once, they will again, hopefully. Next time I will try moving them out...should I just put them into a jar with an airstone and water from parents tank as you would for Cories? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Tammy

I hope you have better luck next time with your loaches, and good luck with the rams.

I figure, if the loaches bred once, they will again, hopefully. Next time I will try moving them out...should I just put them into a jar with an airstone and water from parents tank as you would for Cories? Any ideas?

That's what I would do. You may be stepping into uncharted territory, here, so you may have to try a few things before you get it right.