Quick question about painting tanks

Albertan

I'm picking up a tank from Chris at Aquarium Enthusiasts in a couple of hours. With where I am planning on putting it in the family room, I thought it would be nice to paint the back and one side with black paint on the outside to act as a background. I have two questions. First, what kind of paint should one use and do you just roll it on (OK two questions there :smokey: )? Second, is it hard to get off afterwards if you want to go back to clear glass? Thanks for any info.

Edited by Nandopsis

Well I searched the forum and it looks like Tremclad or Krylon acrylic paints sprayed on are the way to go. This just leaves the question of getting it off later if desired. I read someting about soaking it in hot water and taking it off with a razor blade?

I have a tank that I purchaced that was painted black as a background and it looks great , however if I were to do it all over again i would use material that you can buy at any Home depot that is used for cabinet bottoms ... it is vinyl and comes in many different colors , so it is versitile with what you have in your tank and what look you want... and it is easy removed if you want a change... and it is also cheaper then paint..

I had purchased a used 70 gal tank that was painted green on the back. I used a window scraper with a razor blade in it and an hour later it was clean, Arms were a little sore though.

For application, the main this is to have the surface CLEANCLEANCLEAN....and MASK the three sides and top, as enamel overspray will go places you never imagined if allowed!....and stick quite well too :)

For removal:

If you use any of the readily available enamel spraybombs, one quick dose of easy-off and a spritz with a garden hose should get rid of them (assuming you can move it outside:).

A razorblade will also work, just a little more sweat equity involved:)

James

Edited by James (Western Canada)

For application, the main this is to have the surface CLEANCLEANCLEAN....and MASK the three sides and top, as enamel overspray will go places you never imagined if allowed!....and stick quite well too :)

For removal:

If you use any of the readily available enamel spraybombs, one quick dose of easy-off and a spritz with a garden hose should get rid of them (assuming you can move it outside:).

A razorblade will also work, just a little more sweat equity involved:)

James

Would a product like Easy-Off (very caustic) not compromise the silicone bond/seal in the glass joins? I would opt for the razor blade I think. I have used black, blue, gray, etc. counter top from the rummage bin at places like Totem, Home Depot, etc. These places also have a remnant bin of pieces that have been left over form various jobs and usually priced a couple bucks. No contamination risk at all.

Vic

Vic:

Left on the surface long enough....possibly, but for a few minutes, I wouldn't expect any problems. Many years ago, I spent one shift as a tank watch at the pulp mill in Gr. Prairie. My job was to watch out for the crew inside a very large wooden tank lined with RTV matting. They were repairing the odd spot where the matting(which has an frp backing which is laminated to the wood) had delaminated. ANYWAY, where I was going with this is this was a tank used the storage of HYPO (sorry, cant remember the proper chemical name), which the workers described to me as being "like JAVEX". So, if RTV can stand up to 24/7/365 exposure, 5 or 10 minutes of exposure to easyoff isn't going to be an isue:)

James

Plain old acrylic craft paint works too. It's a bit prone to scratching off in the first little while, but is fairly hard when it cures. It comes off easily with a razor blade (wetting it first helps to loosen it from the glass.) Just be sure to let it dry between coats.

I was advised to use Acrylic paint for the 55 gallon..I put on the first coat and it didn't look great at all, alot of places were lighter, darker etc. But I left it for the rest of the night and the next day after school I did the second coat and wow what a difference. I loved the outcome of the backround so much, I went ahead and painted my 15 gallon with the rest of the paint I had left. Great stuff.

I use acrylic or latex paint, roll it on, do at least 2 coats. Be careful removing the masking tape, do it when the paint is wet. To remove, a snow scrapper will do it. It will not adhere hard to the glass, more like a plastic film, it'll scratch off easily. I like it because you can change your mind, just like taping on the paper. Sue

Edited by Qattarra