film at surface of betta bowl

jojosavard

my son's half-gallon betta bowl has a thin slimy film forming at the surface of the water. I change half the water, overfill the bowl so the slime pours out. All looks fine, then the next day the film is back. I repeat the procedure. Film comes back again. Been going on for about 10 days. I can't figure it out. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

There must be something in the bowl that is leaching in to the water. Did you add something new to the tank? an ornament or rock? You will have to figure out what is in there that is causing it.

I get it on my 90 planted tank all the time. I do as werner suggests. Doesn't bother the fish at all.

My betta tanks get this layer whenever the boys make bubble nests. Maybe they have slimy spit?

I'd say if you've ruled out any leeching of scum from decorations or additives, then it probably is betta spit. The first time I saw this in my tank I was concerned too. I'd describe it as more of a really thin oil-slick though, kind of rainbow coloured if you look real close........ does it coincide with his bubble nests?

wow thanks for all the responses everyone.

hmmm ... good food for thought.

I don't think it's spit, because he is not in that great shape. He contracted an infection a couple of months ago. Stayed in place at the surface, ate nothing, his fins clamped, fraying and falling apart. I treated him with betta-revive, saved him from the brink. I have since added a heating pad under the bowl, the temp stays at a steady 26 degrees celcius. He is certainly a lot better, eats like a pig, though he is not his old self. Prefers sulking at one end of the bowl, or harassing his frog companion.

New items in the little bowl? i started slipping pieces of almond tree leaf in after water changes, also squirting in big al's bacterial supplement. That could be it.

Never had the oily slicks before, but now it is like a daily thing. My daughter's bowl is treated the same way and has no surface slick.

My biggest fear is that it contains hamful bacteria

There have been many arguments about whether these types of products actually contain and/or can support live colonies of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter (whether or not those species are actually responsible for nitrification- that's another argument...)

I tend to lean towards the "snake oil" side ;)