my planted tank

windeindoiel

Ok just set this up 2ish weeks ago. I didn't bother posting a pic of it after the first couple days, because it took about a week for all the plants to settle in, and the pictures look the same... except the first day one is cloudier because of the gravel.... I figured after half an hour of rinsing, even though the water was still coming out chocolate colored, it was rinsed enough. :P Anyways, then I have the picture I took today (end of week 2 of it being set up) to compare the growth. Which is crazy. I've turned 2 of the four lights off as of today to try to get the algae under control a bit, hopefully it doesn't slow the plant growth down too much. Anyways, this is my new planted tank.

After one week of being set up:

After two weeks of being set up:

Wow that is some growth happening!

What kind of lights are you running? Are you fertilizing or anything?

Wish I could say I had half that amount of growth in my planted tank, and it's been setup over a month! Teach me o wise one!!! :bow: :lol:

Edited by delphinus

Well back in the day before I knew anything at all about plants, I thought it would work to drill holes in the stump and plant plants in the little holes, and make some other holes as little caves, so that is why there's holes in the stump lol. I filled most of them in with java moss but the moss came out of that one so I decided to just leave it.

The lights are those new I think T5's or something, they work fine for reefs from what Albert at Gold's tells us. I'll ask Lyder and get back on exactly what they are. And we're doing CO2 injection, and fertilizing with Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and I put those little flourish fertilizer spikes in the gravel. Oh and on the bag of gravel it said it was for planted tanks, and under the gravel is a layer of peat moss (with egg crate on top to hold it down).

And like I said I turned 2 of the 4 lights off, but I think I'm going to turn them back on because I don't want growth to slow down. I suppose when the plants have taken over I won't have to worry about algae anymore anyway, so I might as well keep that process going speedily.

Thanks for the info. :) Yes, T5's (at least the HO T5's) are the absolute shiznit (um .. fo' fizzle). :) I've been wanting to upgrade my lighting to maybe 4xT5 (right now I'm pushing 2x65PC over my 65). I'm dithering though because I'm not sure if I should maybe get some kind of CO2 going first before upgrading the lighting.

What size tank is yours?

Well back in the day before I knew anything at all about plants, I thought it would work to drill holes in the stump and plant plants in the little holes, and make some other holes as little caves, so that is why there's holes in the stump lol. I filled most of them in with java moss but the moss came out of that one so I decided to just leave it.

The lights are those new I think T5's or something, they work fine for reefs from what Albert at Gold's tells us. I'll ask Lyder and get back on exactly what they are. And we're doing CO2 injection, and fertilizing with Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and I put those little flourish fertilizer spikes in the gravel. Oh and on the bag of gravel it said it was for planted tanks, and under the gravel is a layer of peat moss (with egg crate on top to hold it down).

And like I said I turned 2 of the 4 lights off, but I think I'm going to turn them back on because I don't want growth to slow down. I suppose when the plants have taken over I won't have to worry about algae anymore anyway, so I might as well keep that process going speedily.

Thanks for the info. :) Yes, T5's (at least the HO T5's) are the absolute shiznit (um .. fo' fizzle). :) I've been wanting to upgrade my lighting to maybe 4xT5 (right now I'm pushing 2x65PC over my 65). I'm dithering though because I'm not sure if I should maybe get some kind of CO2 going first before upgrading the lighting.

What size tank is yours?

I have 4 4' strips running over the tank, I like it because it lights the tank pretty evenly. And I don't know if there's different types of T5's or what, because we were going to buy some different ones, then we got talked into these ones... maybe Albert is just a good salesman lol. If you have high light but no source of carbon for the plants you're going to have an algae problem. I have the big bottle for CO2 and all that and it was pretty pricey (but funner than a pop bottle) but I don't know if all that is necessary. This tank is an upgrade of my 25gal where I was running 2 T5 bulbs and dosing with flourish excel and that was working fine. And this tank is a 90 gal, although there's only about 60 gallons of water in there.

Albert is .. well .. Albert :) But he's pretty straight-up, he wouldn't steer you wrong. I know he's a fan of T5's. They are pretty slick.

I have to look into this CO2 thing some more. I don't quite know how to tell if what I need is more light, or carbon. I have a 65g tank with plants, the algae eaters are keeping most of the algae's in check but there is a bit of filamentous algae that they're not eating, and it doesn't go away. So I'm not sure if this is a nutrient problem, or maybe my plants need carbon, or more light, or who knows. I'm learning as I go on this one. :)

BTW, how on earth does one pronounce your login id?

I have 4 4' strips running over the tank, I like it because it lights the tank pretty evenly. And I don't know if there's different types of T5's or what, because we were going to buy some different ones, then we got talked into these ones... maybe Albert is just a good salesman lol. If you have high light but no source of carbon for the plants you're going to have an algae problem. I have the big bottle for CO2 and all that and it was pretty pricey (but funner than a pop bottle) but I don't know if all that is necessary. This tank is an upgrade of my 25gal where I was running 2 T5 bulbs and dosing with flourish excel and that was working fine. And this tank is a 90 gal, although there's only about 60 gallons of water in there.

Albert is .. well .. Albert :) But he's pretty straight-up, he wouldn't steer you wrong. I know he's a fan of T5's. They are pretty slick.

I have to look into this CO2 thing some more. I don't quite know how to tell if what I need is more light, or carbon. I have a 65g tank with plants, the algae eaters are keeping most of the algae's in check but there is a bit of filamentous algae that they're not eating, and it doesn't go away. So I'm not sure if this is a nutrient problem, or maybe my plants need carbon, or more light, or who knows. I'm learning as I go on this one. :)

BTW, how on earth does one pronounce your login id?

Well light has to be your limiting factor, so it's ok if you have a little too much CO2 for how much light you have, but it's not ok if you have too much light. There was a really good article about it somewhere, I don't remember where though. So I would get some CO2 going before trying to upgrade your lighting. And fertilizers and that are good additions too, although that's something I'm still learning about. www.plantgeek.net has some good articles.

wind-in-doe-ee-ell... I suppose.

Edited by windeindoiel