Aaaahhhh. Roaches!!!!

BigA

Hey everyone. Just got home from work. There was a notice under our door saying that on thursday a pest control company has been called in to our building to spray for cockroaches!!!! Now, as I am completely sure that our suite IS roach free, I can't exactly call and tell them that. They left a set of instructions saying that all pets must be removed from the apartment while they are spraying. A sub note on that says that fishtanks must have the pumps shut off and have any openings sealed. I was thinking saran wrap, but am aprehensive about leaving them here at all. Does anyone have any options? Has anyone gone through this before? If I seal them with saran, will they be ok for the day? Not overheat? Or should I just pray and hope that all my fish make it through unscathed? Pls help. I need to have a plan in place before I go to bed on Wednesday as I leave for work at 730 thursday morning and won't have time in the morning to implement it.

If moving them was an option I'd probably consider that. But, I would assume it's probably not so easy as that. This may sound like an odd suggestion but you may want to ask your question on an American board, because dollars to donuts this is probably a more common problem for our friends down south than it is for us (our winters are good for something). Surely others have had to deal with this. My guess is seal off the tanks as best you can and probably run copious amounts of carbon when restarting the pumps. I'd be leery of having all pumps shut off though.

You could take some builders plastic 6 mil wrap your tank with it over the top or even prop it up so there is space above the tank and then duct tape the poly to the glass. in this way you could leave your filter running just not an air pump though.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Would an airpump introduce some of the pesticide-laden air into the water though? I wonder if a powerhead would be a safer bet.

You could take some builders plastic 6 mil wrap your tank with it over the top or even prop it up so there is space above the tank and then duct tape the poly to the glass. in this way you could leave your filter running just not an air pump though.
Edited by Sam Chicklets

i've been there I just put a blanket over my aquamum and put the air pump out a window so it was pumping clean air into my aquamum. The fumagater was also careful around my aquamum to use as little as posable poison in the area of the aquamum, i didn't lose any fish at all as a result.

Tons of plastic wrap, and some duct tape should do the trick. Also, cover the tank with a blanket, so fish are less active. Speaking from experience, after having our house fumigated twice a number of years ago, thanks to a flea infestation (fox kits are cute, but... :boxed: ). Fish took it all in stride though.

Thanks everyone with the ideas. I shut off all of the airpumps and filters. Didn't want to chance a bit of a leak.... And then wrapped the tanks up with industrial pallet wrap. It's a little more heavy duty than regular saran wrap. Now the waiting game. Hopefully it all goes well...........

P.S. I have to do it all again in a month. They have to come back and make a second application to make sure they get all of the eggs..... :unsure:

Thanks again for everyones help. As of this morning Everyone was acounted for except for my male krib, but he could be hiding somewhere. I was running late a didn't have a lot of time to investigate. But all the other fish seems to have made it through ok.

I am interested to see what happens here, if everything goes well, I might use the same route, I am planning on spraying raid in my room for these pesky spiders sneaking in now that the weather has turned.