Advise on Undergravel Filters?

whiterose

I just recently had a brand new undergravel filter given to me, I have read an article that suggested they are not good to use. The article stated that tanks can crash very easily using an UGF. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has used them, successfully or otherwise. My idea was to use the UGF on my 33 gal tank with a fluval 201 and an AG 20 Powerhead.

~~Ray~~

The best way to run a UGF is to run the water flow through a canister filter first, then use the canister to power the water flow through the gravel. That way, you get the increased biological filtration of a UGF with a much lower chance of the UGF clogging with detritus and becoming a nitrate sink. On the other hand... if you're buying an expensive canister, you probably aren't going to bother with a UGF. They do have their uses (QT and fry raising tanks in particular), but few people use them anymore. If you use a UGF in a community tank, supplement the filtration with a HOB or canister filter, and be prepared to completely clean out the gravel after a few years.

Edited by Osprey

I just recently had a brand new undergravel filter given to me, I have read an article that suggested they are not good to use. The article stated that tanks can crash very easily using an UGF. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has used them, successfully or otherwise. My idea was to use the UGF on my 33 gal tank with a fluval 201 and an AG 20 Powerhead.

~~Ray~~

I like ug for the most part, a good portion of my 70+ tanks have it. Very useful for guppies, bettas and fry tanks.

For more heavily populated tanks I use HOB as well, and powerheads like maxi jet. I still give the gravel a

good syphoning every now and then. for the most part I use it in conjunction with/as a supplement to

HOB's etc, and its most of what I use with guppies or bettas(won't suck up babies).