Red-fin barb

African_Fever

I picked up 5 barbs from Gold's about a month ago, and I think they were called a Red-fin barb. Basic barb shape, about 5-6" long and very thick (torpedo shaped and definitely not laterally compressed), with red fins and a longitudinal black line. I'm just wondering if anyone else had seen them at Gold's (they were in first tank at the front of the store with all the other barbs) or if anyone has any idea which species they are. I'm having a hard time finding anything about them, and am wondering what their max size is and temperment (plus possibly breeding info).

TIA

Thanks Christian, but that's not it. That one looks very similar to a tinfoil barb, and mine isn't laterally compressed at all. From a quick search through fishbase it looks similar to Barbus eutaenia and Barbus argenteus; very similar to the eutaenia, but from what I can tell a flatter head and more colour in the fins. I'll attempt to get a pic up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick photo, hopefully it's good enough for someone to help me find out exactly what they are. Largest one has probably grown a solid inch since I got them about two months ago, and wouldn't mind finding some more if possible. As well, the stripe on the largest hasn't been as dark lately.

post-45-1179874553_thumb.jpg

I can't quite see the mouth, but it looks like it could be a member of the minnow/dace family...

To me it looks like a form of Pyrrhulina, maybe Brevis Brevis, or Laeta.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks BigA, that appears to be them, or at least closer than anything else I've found (was thinking possibly Barbus eutaenia). Fishbase has 1 m has max. size! If anyone comes across any of these in the future (ie. if Gold's gets any more in stock), I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks all.