Watts for gallons

Raven

I have the 2 heaters from my 29 and 30g tanks, and im wondering which one would be ok to use in th 50g. Ones one i got from blkwolfe and i think theres a box for it and all... im not sure. Do heaters say the watts right on them? Just in case i dont ot the boxes? Oh, and it the watts arent enough could i use both in the tank?

If i remember right its near a foot. At least thats what it looked like. and i think it was 250 watts, am i right josh? So the other things ill have in the 50 is the powerhead, and both filters cause they were both only ment for 30-40gs. Itll be sometime next week before i can figure things out.

• 2 weeks later...

When selecting heaters there's a few things to keep in mind.

How long is the tank? IMO any tank over 3 ft should have 2 heaters as they help keep the entire tank an even temp, and prevent cold spots in the tank. As Jay mentioned, 2 heaters also prevent the tank temp from dropping into the danger zone if by chance one of the heaters fail. Also, having 2 heaters that are slightly 'underrated' for the tank size can help prevent your tank from drastically overheating if by chance one of the heaters fails in the 'on' position. IOW - in a tank your size, two 100 W heaters might be safer than running a singe 200 W heater.

How warm is your room where the tank is located? In my daughters apt, she wouldn't need a heater, or at least not a very big one, as her apt is kept near 80 F 24/7 year round. In our home the room temp drops several degrees at night, so I need to keep heaters running year round. This guide will help you figure out the size of heater/heaters you need to keep your 50 gallon tank at a constant even temp.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/tipsandt...lheatersize.htm