Moving Tips

JasonD

Hi all,

Have read loads of good advice on here over the last few months and you all have really helped with my first tank.

We have now sold our house here in Edmonton and are moving back to Kelowna BC and I am wondering how feasable it is to move my fish... I have a total of 10 yellow labs of various sizes and don't even know where to start planning for this move. Or am I better to sell them and start over when I get there? the kids have become very attached to the group, so would like to take them if possible, but will not be worth it if we lose 1/2 of them on the way!

Any of your knowledgable opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

Are you planning on walking? If not, bag them like you would for an auction...

Don't feed them for a couple days before the move, then put in 3 juvies or 1 adult per bag. Use about 3 fingers of water in the bag - the more air you have in the bag, the better gas exchange you'll have for the trip. Also, try to keep them away from temperature extremes during the move.

I heard of a person who did an experiment, and kept a tetra for 5 weeks in a bag before it croaked.

In addition to what jvision has said I would also add bag buddies.

What the heck is an airless bag?

I believe airless bag is referring to a breather bag, a fish specific bag that allows oxygen exchange through the membrane of the bag without loss of water. I received a few of these when MyKiss brought a load of fish over from BC for sale here in Alberta.

In addition to the bag buddies, purchasing a styrofoam container (also like those available at auction) would serve as a good temperature stabilizer. Condition the new tank you move the fish into with prime and then do daily water changes until your tank is fully cycled and you should be ok. Aquatic plants also do wonders for new startups and can be shipped alongside the fish.

Edited by BooUrns!

Jason: The OTHER jason hit the nail on the head. Not feeding for several days prior to moving day will eliminate a great deal of waste in the bags. This means that water quality will not dissipate nearly as quickly as it would if the fish were dumping in such a small volume of water.

While plants will hasten the cycling process, it is not generally reccommended to pack plants & fish in the same bag, as when you place plants in the dark, they start to give off CO2, not something you want in a small bag of water with your fish.

As for bag buddies, this has come up before, see link to post below......

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=13529

HTH

James