Pond Equipment

BooUrns!

Hi,

I just started up a 600G above ground holding pond for my koi and large goldfish. I'm looking for a few items but I don't want to run out and buy straight retail products that may not be suited to this tank setup.

I already have a DIY 5G canister filter installed (will probably upgrade this to a wine barrel size for the main pond). I'm looking for a fountain/spray attachment to go with a pump for the purposes of increasing surface agitation. I also need to find a net to cover the top of the tank to prevent the fish from accidentally hopping onto the lawn. The tank is 7' diameter and circular.

I'm considering ebay as a source for a cheap uv sterilizer. Anyone gone this route?

Edited by BooUrns!

Be careful with a fountain, on windy days there's potential to lose a lot of water. You can build a spraybar out of PVC pipe, if you want - and just about any pump/powerhead will do to move the water. Not sure about the netting...

I have a friend that has had a pond for several years with lots of Koi in it. He has never used a net.. he built a small decrative berm around the pond!

He has a water fall feature that he built out of wood and rocks that looks great and creates lots of water movement.. and with the wind we have been having the last couple of years you may not even need that ...

good luck with your project... I am going to do a pond one of these days when i find time..

For what you are doing I would just have the outflow of your filter spill into the pool, and if you want, put an airstone in. My Koi never jump, but of course my pond has a deep end for them to hide in. Failing deep water I would get a bunch of water lettuce to throw in there. This will accomplish 3 things, water lettuce will feed on the nitrates reducing algae. It will provide shade and a place for them to hide under, shading part of the water also reduces algae and reduces water temp in the heat of summer. It is cheap, easy to grow and the fish like to nibble on the roots. Or water hyacynth, I wouldn't go with water lilies on a temp. pond. As far as UV systems go, you will need to know 2 things, how many gallons and the size of the pump or pumps. The laguna 15 watt UV unit is for up to 1800 gallons and uses a flow rate of 350 gph. Any pump you are going to use to filter 1800 gal.of water, would have to be in the 2000 gph+ range so you would need to divert a 1/2 inch line off your main pump water line or use a second 350 gph pump just for the sterilizer. With my pond I diverted a line over to the sterilizer and put a valve in front of it to control the amount of water going through the sterilizer. Hope this helps.

Edited by HOSStile