In-line heaters/unbreakable heaters

African_Fever

I'm tired of breaking heaters and having to worry about them every time I do water changes in my fry tanks (I'll often change >50% at a time), so am looking at different options out there. Seems to be a lot different unbreakable ones out there, though what I'm wondering is what would be best for smaller (20 and 10 gallon) tanks. I've got an Aqua Euro titanium on my 135 and works great, but do they make smaller ones, or would it just be better to get the 'normal' tube style heaters with the alumium/plastic unbreakable casing? Hydor seems to have some pretty cool heat/pump combo's that look perfect for fry tanks (heater/pump/sponge filter combo - www.hydor.com and the Ekip 250/350 thermofilter), but I've never seen these around nor heard of anyone using them.

Also wondering if anyone is using any sort of inline heater (Hydor or other). Just looking at ways to 'clean up' my larger tanks and get things out of the tanks that don't really need to be in there (especially with tanks being used as room dividers where they're visible from both sides).

Edit - does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement tubes for Visitherms?

Edited by African_Fever

Edit - does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement tubes for Visitherms?

You may not be able to get replacement tubes as they are a sealed submersible heater, and once tampered with could leak and cause shorting or electrocution. Most manufacturers would not want to be liable for this.

I am using the Hydor 301 (300 watt) inline heater on my 90 gallon.

I am surprised at how precise the temperature stays. I put on the output of my Classic 2217 and it has been working great for me. Uses clamping nuts just like the Eheim quick disconnects...very simple hook-up.

I've only had it a couple of weeks so we are still in the "probationary period" but so far I am impressed.

Just out of curiosity, how are you always breaking your heaters?

No, not tank busters. Forget to unplug the heaters when they're not laying on the bottom (just hanging over the edge), and when I refill the tanks, crack. You'd think I'd learn since I'm changing water every 2-3 days in most grow-out tanks, but I just don't seem to catch on. I've only broken two visitherms and two non-submersible hagen cheapies, but it still gets frustrating.

Christian - that's exactly what I was looking for. Will be slowly switching to the Hydor's in tanks with canisters and probably the unbreakable visi's in the fry/growout tanks.

Even the Visitherm Stealth will eventualy split if they are left plugged in dry.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

OOOOO I've done that lol. I'm draining the tank in WC and start smelling something, I've even called out to the person in the kitchen"is something burning?" lol. I unplug the heater and let it cool off before refilling the tank tho lol