Man these things breed fast...

FishGeek

So it finally happened, i tore down my planted tank when i moved in december and never really had the urge to set up a new one, since i've been so focused on my reef tank. But when I was over at a friend's place a month ago, seeing his planted tanks, the damn bug bit me again. So i have been working on setting up a new 90, going to be a crypt only tank, my favorite plants. I dont want to bother with fish in this tank so i decided to give cherry shrimp a try, need something to do some cleanup. I tossed in about 50 cherries 2 weeks ago. When i was doing a quick h2o change yesterday i noticed movement all over the leaves, babies! Man there is tons of them, everywhere i look more and more shrimps. Do the babies require any special care, or should i just leave them to do thier thing? There is nothing in the tank that will eat them, so competition is the only thing i need to worry about. How many can a 90gal support with or without supplemental feeding.

I have about 10 or so in a 15G tank but they haven't been breeding in two months time. I originally had 20 but an ammonia spike in their former tank took out about half the population. Perhaps all of one gender died? Anyone want to donate some fresh stock? :smokey:

Edited by BooUrns!

They breed readily with clean water. I let my CS tank go for a month, and they've stopped. :( Thankfully, they've contaminated just about every other tank that I own! Patrick, give me a call, I can hook you up; but, first try a 50% WC and wait a couple weeks (females are red, males are clear/colorless).

Any chance anyone would feel like trying to mail some of these out? I've got nothing around here for shrimp, and don't quite know when I'll be getting up to Calgary next.

Sure, colud do, although I would want to wait a week or two until it is a smidge warmer, but Expresspost would likely have them there pretty much overnight.

They breed readily with clean water. I let my CS tank go for a month, and they've stopped. :( Thankfully, they've contaminated just about every other tank that I own! Patrick, give me a call, I can hook you up; but, first try a 50% WC and wait a couple weeks (females are red, males are clear/colorless).

I intentionally limited my WC's on my 15G CS tank as I had read somewhere that the adult shrimp are intolerant of environmental disturbances. I was doing WC's only once per month (if that much).

I only have 1 or 2 shrimp that have any trace of red on them at all. The majority of them are clear/colourless. I'm assuming I have a dude ranch here that's in need of fresh water and a few easy gals.

i seem to remember reading an article that over generations the color can start to vary from clear to brown to red and everything in between. Is this true, would i be able to improve the coloration of mine over time if i pick out the brown and less colored ones as feeders?

I have a colony that is over a year old, and probably over 2000 total shrimp over this time - females are still bright red, males are still pretty colorless.

I have had cherry shrimp for over 4 months, with weekly water changes, temperature about 78, in a 10 gallon tank, with heavy amounts of java moss. I still do not see any babies ? Bad luck I guess. There is at least 3 full grown females and many males of various sizes. Suggestions?

I have had cherry shrimp for over 4 months, with weekly water changes, temperature about 78, in a 10 gallon tank, with heavy amounts of java moss. I still do not see any babies ? Bad luck I guess. There is at least 3 full grown females and many males of various sizes. Suggestions?

Mood music? Alcohol? Maybe dimming the lights...? :rolleyes: