Modding an AC filter

HOSStile

If you are like me and do 50 percent water changes in this case a 90 gal. with 2 AC 500 filters, unless you pull the intake tube off, hard to do with the canopy on the tank, the water syphons out of the filter bodies meaning I have to go around back and put water in them so that they will draw water again. What I have done, is using a drill or hot needle, opened up a hole in the little adjuster thingee that sticks up. Then I put on a # 10 screw protector (little rubber cap) looks like condom for Edmontonian, but I wander. When you do your WC remove the cap to break the syphon and after filling the tank,putting the little cap back on and restart your system. You could also do a variation of this with tubing and a valve, then you could open the valve slightly to create aeration in the filter. I recommend you cut the little rubber cap in half so that it is easy to remove, sand the rough edges of the adjust thingee to get a better seal, and possibly put a little vasoline in the cap to make it seal better and make it easier to come off. Oh and you can get screw protectors at Home depot for 20 cents each For the bigger ACs use the # 10 black ones and for the smaller ones use the # 8 red ones. :smokey:

post-268-1180562868_thumb.jpg

Edited by HOSStile

• 4 weeks later...
If you are like me and do 50 percent water changes in this case a 90 gal. with 2 AC 500 filters, unless you pull the intake tube off, hard to do with the canopy on the tank, the water syphons out of the filter bodies meaning I have to go around back and put water in them so that they will draw water again. What I have done, is using a drill or hot needle, opened up a hole in the little adjuster thingee that sticks up. Then I put on a # 10 screw protector (little rubber cap) looks like condom for Edmontonian, but I wander. When you do your WC remove the cap to break the syphon and after filling the tank,putting the little cap back on and restart your system. You could also do a variation of this with tubing and a valve, then you could open the valve slightly to create aeration in the filter. I recommend you cut the little rubber cap in half so that it is easy to remove, sand the rough edges of the adjust thingee to get a better seal, and possibly put a little vasoline in the cap to make it seal better and make it easier to come off. Oh and you can get screw protectors at Home depot for 20 cents each For the bigger ACs use the # 10 black ones and for the smaller ones use the # 8 red ones. :smokey:

heres a tip for others if trying this. I just tried this mod on my AC 70 and it didnt work. reason was that i drilled staight down into the adjuster. there is a groove in the adjuster along one side so when you stick the rubber on the seal is still open. i had to silicone it back up and drill from the side and it worked fine with the rubber cap over it. a good and easy mod. thanks Hosstile

Here's a tip that might kill you....leave the filter on while you do the water change.

The water doesn't drain out, and keeps enough to cover the impeller. As the water level rises on refilling, the water is automatically sucked back up into the filter.

Here's a tip that might kill you....leave the filter on while you do the water change.

The water doesn't drain out, and keeps enough to cover the impeller. As the water level rises on refilling, the water is automatically sucked back up into the filter.

Because I have to transport water a long ways to the tank and I put the 2 ACs on the same power bar as the heaters, I just turn off the power, pull the caps from the filter , and for the hour it takes me to do the wc, I don't have to listen to 2 impellers sucking air. Eating yellow snow might kill you, poking butter up a cougar's @$$ with a burning stick might kill you, even being told by your employer that you have to transfer to Edmonton will surely kill you, but your tip didn't even leave an owwee mark. :tongue:

Because I have to transport water a long ways to the tank and I put the 2 ACs on the same power bar as the heaters, I just turn off the power, pull the caps from the filter , and for the hour it takes me to do the wc, I don't have to listen to 2 impellers sucking air. Eating yellow snow might kill you, poking butter up a cougar's @$ with a burning stick might kill you, even being told by your employer that you have to transfer to Edmonton will surely kill you, but your tip didn't even leave an owwee mark. :tongue:

:well: Hey share some of that stuff Harold! Didn't know you found the good stuff -roll-

i fill my tank back up with a python and of course i dose it with prime before filling but i dont want my AC filters taking in any new water yet until i let the prime do its thing for a bit. thats the only reason i turn them off for W/C. i just wanna be on the safe side.