Hydra

Terrie Lee

I just noticed what I think is a diatom in my cherry shrimp tank. (Don't have to worry about the water quality in here ha ha)

Will this be a problem? I only see one. It looks like a little tube with five extensions on the top.

Is this thing going to kill my shrimp or snails? (It can kill all the snails it wants. I am sure they can breed fast enough to keep up.)

If it is dangerous how do I kill it?

Edited by Terrie Lee

Do you mean hydra?

The only thing dangerous about it is it does kill babies, which i would assume means shrimp too.

I have some in my 60 piranah/cherry shrimp, planted tank, had a couple shrimp holding eggs.

Still haven't seen any babies, but all my shrimp took shelter in my filter. Will have to check.

If there is only one try removing it,

but i would look under plants, on leafs, because where there is one there are more , in my experiance

I also had some in my gold shellie tank on a shell , i just removed the whole shell and haven't seen it come back.

Hydra always seem to find a way into a "well fed" tank. Try cutting back on the food a bit - it'll help the snail pop'n, too.

Thanks Jason!

I guess I do feed the shrimpies a bit much. It's just that they are right there and oh so cute. . . . . .

I will be strong! I will cut back on the pity feeding!

I have noticed now that I examined very closely, there are hydra everywhere. They are living in the staghorn algae that I am too lazy to eradicate.

If I remember correctly Clout eliminates hydra it doesn't say so on the label of the 1000 pack but I'd be willing to bet that is what I've used in the past of course one should check what it does to shrimp first as I have never kept them

How do I remove the hydra? There is one on the side of the tank. I tried scraping at it with a spoon, but all it did was scrunch up and look angry. The ones in the algae were easy to remove, I just pulled the algae out!

It'll eventually die if you don't feed it too much - they feed off the micro-grublies that live on the excess food and waste. Otherwise, use a razor.

Having hydra isn't a big deal in most aquariums, but since they feed on small crustaceans and you're breeding shrimp...

Scraping them off the glass probably isn't very effective, since they just float around and reattach themselves elsewhere. They also can regenerate and form 2 new hydra if cut in half. Cool info on hydra here.

There are all sorts of methods suggested for getting rid of hydra like chemicals/medications, and even electrocution. Probably not compatible with your shrimpies. I have read a couple of articles which suggest that certain snails will eat hydra. Mystery snails are one that was mentioned. Limnaea stagnalis, aka common pond snail (from Europe and different than our common pond snail) is another one. If you don't have snails in that tank, you could try adding some- other species may eat them as well. Keep in mind the historically established fact that animals introduced to control another population often get out of control themselves ;)

Other hydra control suggestions at The Krib

Edited by werner