Cleaning crew for chiclids

tikka223

What type of bottom feeders can one use with african chiclids? I will have a 230 gallon tank and would like to have 5-7 different fish in my "cleaning crew", any suggestions. Keep in mind that I want them to be in the the less than a foot range.

What Shark said. Unfortunately there arent many bottom dwelling clean up type fish that can withstand the constant harassment from cichlids. Some guys have had success with clown loaches. If you do go with synodontis cats, most species do better in groups,so the more the marrier.

I have to say that my Xenotilapias are an amazing cleaning crew. Since I added them the bottom of my tank has become sparkling clean! They eat the algae too. I have a medium size rock in the open area where they hang out that used to be green as grass, but now there are no algae left. The only place I have algae is on the rock pile where my julie pair are.

I have corycats and rubber lip pleco and reg. pleco in 80 gal with peacocks and elec yellow,severum,blue acara, acei, the rubber lip will take on the larger pleco(5x)no problem.Ifind the rubber lip will clean the rocks better.

I say put two bristlenose plecos in there 2-3 synodontis and 2 clown loaches. I found the water parameters and cichlid food cause the clowns to have amazing colour. And as long as you provide good, small shelter for your clowns they would fine.

If you're going the route of Synos, I'd definitely recommend at least 6, especially in a tank that size. I've got two groups (13/14) in two different 125's, and they do great in huge groups. Some BN's would be good too to help keep your glass and rocks a bit 'cleaner' if that's what you're after too.

If you're going the route of Synos, I'd definitely recommend at least 6, especially in a tank that size. I've got two groups (13/14) in two different 125's, and they do great in huge groups. Some BN's would be good too to help keep your glass and rocks a bit 'cleaner' if that's what you're after too.

I would like to thank all for their imput. Synos and BN's have it. I should be able to move my tanks in early next week as the renos are done(finally). I have a friend who is going to donate one of his filter sponges so I hope I can get the tank cycled faster. If anyone has anymore suggestions on fish to add or imput on the cycling procces please reply. You have all been a great help and I hope to post pictures of my tank soon. Thanks again Shane