Bumblebee Gobies

Stacey

I have decided I would like Bumblebee Gobies in my next tank........... still in the preliminary research stages.......... Does anyone know how readily available these are in Calgary? and approximate cost? Imperial says they have sold them before, could maybe get them in again, approximate cost --"under $10" (Well, I'd hope so, these fish are under 2 inches each!)

Also any recommendations on filters for a brackish tank? (26 gallon) I've read that I should get a ...........you know --thing that measures the salinity in a saltwater tank.......... to accurately measure salinity, and that there are few plants that do well in a brackish tank, but I'm definately looking for any and all tips on brackish tanks in general.

How about tankmates? Stocking density?

I hope to have this tank running by September, still lots of work to do on existing tanks..........

Thanks,

Stacey

BA's up here has a ton of them, just saw them tonight while we were in checking out the shark 'breeding'. Must be 100 of them in a tank, and super tiny, too... but no clue on price, sorry. Quick phone call can solve that, tomorrow.

I've kept them - 4 to a 10 gal. Java fern and moss will easily handle the low salinity of a brackish tank... some say Val will, too, but I've never tried.

If you're just setting up a species tank, then asponge is all you'll need for filtration.

That's for all the great info.......... I think I'm leaning toward a species tank, I could probably go about a dozen in a 26 gallon tank..........

so can anyone recommend a formula of NLS? I've read that they also eat frozen foods...........

what about a brand of marine salt? :huh:

I fed mine baby brine shrimp, but this was long before I'd heard of NLS. Adults could probably eat the small community pellets (1mm, I believe they're called).

Baby NLS to start if they are that small

Refractometer or Hydrometer? is for checking salinity in your tank.

Already got the NLS :thumbs: What's the difference between a refractometer and a hydrometer?

What's the difference between a refractometer and a hydrometer?

A considerable degree of accuracy....but you will spend about $20 for a decent hydrometer (glass are the most accurate, but break easily) and $80 for a decent refractometer....the latter, however, is an excellent investment.

GSP requires a marine condition as they grow up. Figure 8 has been successfully kept with bumblebee gobies. Of course each puff will have their own personalities as well.

Js

I kept a brackish tank once, and my Fig 8 puffer was soo cute..

Although he had a taste for BBgobies' heads.

I personally would not recommend Fig 8 with BBgobies.

Hydrometer are the best little device that they ever came up with. Make sure you mix salt with water before adding it to the main tank.

Brackish tanks are fun, and not as hard work as those salties!