UGGG!!! I hate my apartment.

I get notice today, that I have to have my fishtanks (along with everything else along certain walls) moved out two feet from the walls, so that they can install a new heating system. :mad: So, does anyone have any suggestions as to the easiest way of moving a 29 gallon fully stocked tank? Now I wish magic wands or genies in lamps were real.

Don't try to move it with more than an inch of water in it as tanks don't like to be moved when they are full. Best to drain it down and put the water and fish in 5 gallon pails (with covers) and just leave enough water to keep your plants going. Then you should be able to move it. (HINT: I always have a piece of 3/4" plywood under each of my tanks as it allows me to move the tanks around with an inch or so of water in them which means I can leave the fish in if they are small enough)

I agree with not having it full when you move the tank. But with that said, I assumed that it is on a stand and all you are really doing is sliding the stand out. My bad. Definitely do not lift a tank that is not properly drained. And get help if you can.

I'm with you, fishytime; however, I have a friend who moved a 10 gal tank, half-full, and had the bottom fall right out! :o I usually do what CalgaryFan suggested - really easy and quick. :)

that's what i'll probably do. We were planning on eventually moving it to the other side of the room, I just didn't expect a deadline to be attached. It sucks cause I only have today to do it, cause tonight i'm leaving for a family reunion. Oh well, guess I can't procrastinate....wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the fish weren't impressed with the rubbermaids, especially my pleco (he thrashed around for a while in there). But I was able to drain the water......and with the help of my husband, and his cousin, we slid it across the carpet and across the room to hopefully its last resting place until we get a house. I got the tank all set up and the fish all back in, and they seem happy now. No casualties which is a good thing. This was/ is something I don't want to do ever again if I can help it.