Tank Size?

FishBrain

I have a flameback holding right now and I was wondering what the smallest size tank I can put the fry in. I will strip the female if I have to, I dont plan on putting her into the fry tank and waiting till she spits. But If I know what size is the smallest tank that I can have then I will strip her(now that all you smarties have shown me how). I have 2,2.5Gal tanks empty and am hoping to be able to put them in there

I would prefer a 10g for a fry tank. I have tried using 5gallons but found that i had higher death rates when using them(even with proper water changes and such). Not sure what it was but after asking over at www.cichlid-forum.com other peopel also had problems when using smaller tanks. I now use 10g and later a 20g for when they are a bit bigger.

YOu could try using a 2.5g as you already have it. If it doesn't workout try a larger tank for the next batch.

Anyone else have problems with fry in small(2.5-5g) tanks?

I don't use them that small, but I have breeder cages set up in 10 gallon nets. No death rates really to speak of....

However, I don't think it is a space issue, but rather a water stability issue.....more water, more stability. Bigger tank, better water.

That's why I told my wife we need to get a 480 gallon tank. ^_^

Dunl

but rather a water stability issue.....more water, more stability

.... and usually much better quality. Unless you're prepared to perform daily water changes, or move the fry at the 2 week mark, IMO anything under 10 gallons is pointless for the fry you will be raising. Fry/juvies thrive on fresh clean water. The better the water quality, the stronger & faster your fry will grow.