Converting to Sand

Guest Master of Puppets

I have target sand in most of my tanks. Love it. But there is problem of the sand in the filter.. When I clean I tear the filters right down to there smallest part and use Q tips on all the tight corners where sand seems to always find its way. Just last week I had a AC 110 stop and I'm sure it was from sand. Gave it a good cleaning and got it going. But it is making lots of noise now. Think I will just order a new motor for it.

Had some people over last last night picking up some fish and they told that they are using turkey grit for there tanks. Almost as fine as sand but a little more weight to it. Can get it at any farm supply store. it is made out of crushed rock,or marble. I will be checking it out for sure. I have also heard the sand blasting sand is better then target sand . Has anyone else tried these or checked them out.

I have sand in some of my tanks, but mostly Sil #9 from Sil Industries. It is a sandblasting sand that is very course for sand, but a lot finer than gravel. The fish play in it all the time. And it doesn't show the detrious. Best of both worlds. IMO. Leon

I forgot to add, that it is cheap too. It's like $15 for a 90lb bag.

Edited by Leon71

I have sand in some of my tanks, but mostly Sil #9 from Sil Industries. It is a sandblasting sand that is very course for sand, but a lot finer than gravel. The fish play in it all the time. And it doesn't show the detrious. Best of both worlds. IMO. Leon

I forgot to add, that it is cheap too. It's like $15 for a 90lb bag.

haha that elastic band makes it look like a tank at petland b/c of that elastic bands (-.- people are always shooting them)

Be careful of black sand from sandblasting companies. It's usually copper slag and can be very sharp - it can rip your fishes' mouths apart. I managed to find some black sand that probably comes from volcanic sources. It's quite a bit heavier than TPS - it took MTS about a month to work up enough strength to burry into it! Geo's love it!

Edited by jvision