Hello from Airdrie

todd3x

Well, I've been watching you people for a few weeks now and I am very impressed with this forum and think it's great that there are so many interesting and enthusiastic local fishkeepers. I have already made a few posts so its more than time to introduce myself.

I've gone full circle keeping freshwater fish for over 30 years. I started out with 10 gal tanks full of neons, tetras, etc. I moved up to a couple of 30 gal tanks that were species specific, breeding Angels and Corys for a local pet store. I've had African Cichlids for more than 15 years and graduated to a 90 gal setup with a beautiful oak stand and canopy for display in the livingroom . Last January I had a complete meltdown when the rural power went out while I was away on vacation. I came home to two fish tanks full of fish stew!!! Only a few cichlids and plecos survived. I started up again with only my 90 gal setup and have filled it with community fish...neons, tetras, & rainbows....full circle!

I switched back to a community tank for three reasons. Due to their nature, the cichlids were a challenge to keep happy and fully stocked with only one or two tanks. Second, I wanted to try a planted tank...impossible with cichlids! And third, I thought a community tank with a variety would be a better fit to get my two young girls involved in the hobby (they each got to pick out their own fishies and name them!). I personally prefer a tank with only one or two species in large schools but kids want one or two of everything!

On a different bent, I also raise Rainbow Trout for angling and eating in a 1 acre pond I have on my property. I have some of the same issues there as in a tropical tank. Algae and weeds are a problem. This spring I added 20 Chinese Grass Carp (20 inches long) to eat down the weeds. I control the algae with aeration and copper added to the water.

I look forward to participating in this discussion group. BTW, I'm not too computer savy so I apologise in advance for any blunders I may make.

:welcome: to AA ! I need t say , right here and now, from personal experience, do not get a Uaru if you do not want every plant mowed down to the tips of the roots. this should fully confirm your cichlids eat and distrroy plants theory LOL

Could you post pics of your pond? We have a good number of fisher persons on here too. It would be interesting to hear about some of the fish origins and where they eventually end up for us to go catch them ....yummy

Are snails a good thing in your pond? frogs? This is interesting to me. Glad to have you aboard. Sue

Welcome to AA

Welcome aboard. On the note of plants and cichlids I have a tank with yellow labs jewels and rusties that must be retards, Because all I have in there is live plants. BTW let us in on where those trout are hiding.