Canister Filters

super fish

Rena Fluval or ehiem?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FX5 rocks. Running one on my 180 gal. Perfect Never a problem with it. Lots of fuval's running to . Broke the shafe in half last cleaning , on one , but it still works . got new one on order. Running about 10 AC. filters. Can't beat them .Fuvals get my vote. AC's come in Second .

I cursed my Eheim Pro for the first year I owned it thinking it should have worked better (due to Eheims reputation). Eventually I discovered my model was missing the little plastic connector that seals the inlet on the cover to the canister filter part. For the first year, my Eheim was just taking the water in and then right back out without going through all the filter media! Now that it's together properly it works fantastic. Looking back I'm surprised it worked as well as it did when it wasn't flowing through the filter media! This is my first canister filter and I like how quite it is. I purchased it with a surface skimmer that works good except it can suck in little fish too easily. I have always liked Aquaclear HOT filters but they are noisy when used on large tanks.

anyone comment please comment on corrosion of the metal in renas????

Wel it corrode. if so, how long?

There is only one metal part in the Rena, and that is the impeller shaft. I would assume that they would be no different than any other impeller shaft for corrosion. I have 2 xp3 filters and think they are great.

I have only ever owned the Rena series canisters so i cannot compare to Eheim or Fluval. But seeing as how ive never had any problems with them, and the price is very affordable the next canister i buy will be a Rena. I cant justify paying alot more $$ for an Eheim if my XP's are doing their job for a fraction of the price.

We are running a Fluval FX5 on a 150 gallon tank - no problems. We are also running two Rena XP3's (one also on the 150 gallon and one on a 33 gallon) - no problems. However the equipment is all under three years old. Once I start having trouble, I shall be able to vote.

But so far both filters have been very good to us. We were turned off the Eheims because they were so much more expensive.

it would have to take a hell of a long time to corrode "stainless steel" metal in a filter in a freshwater tank. years...

I'm not very satisfied with my XP-3, and I've never been satisfied with fluval canisters. I think it's because I got used to using medium-high end marine equipment which has a much higher build quality than most freshwater equipment. Go figure ;)

anyone comment please comment on corrosion of the metal in renas????

Wel it corrode. if so, how long?

There is only one metal part in the Rena, and that is the impeller shaft. I would assume that they would be no different than any other impeller shaft for corrosion. I have 2 xp3 filters and think they are great.

Fluval's are ceramic.

I think I'm just gunna test out a fluval impeller shaft in my rena

Well i just replaced my fluval with eheim, the fluval was leaking every time we had to turn it off. I was getting worried that if we had a power outage and we were not there, the damage that could happen if the fluval leaked (it was one of the filter on the 130gallon tank. So far it works awesome! It is rated at 185gallons, so i figured it would be a good second filter for the tank. i also have had no problems with rena canisters.

Just a bit off topic but... Does anyone no how to seal the rim on a fluval so it don't leak? Every time i turned it off, i would have to open the canister and rewet the band around it with water.

Chantell