Canister Filters

super fish

Rena Fluval or ehiem?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've heard so many opposing views -

Rena is better b/c easier to put together/maintain, and just over all works good.

Rena sucks because if a part breaks you have to order it. (Can’t buy it in stores)

Rena sucks b/c the metal pieces corrode.

Fluval is better b/c the system is set up much better.

Fluval is better b/c replacement peaces are easy to get.

Fluval sucks b/c plastic pieces always break.

Ehiem is better b/c lasts longer then other filters (they don't break)

Ehiems suck b/c they always break.

ANY More oppinions?

I like the Rena b/c they're less expensive than Ehiem. Fluval seems to be hit and miss - especially if it's older than 2 yrs

I own fluvals and 1 Eheim. It's no secret I'm always cursing the fluvals. I need them but would gladly replace them with the other two. My Eheim is working great and is absolutely sillent. no issues with it as of yet.

I have over 10 Fluval Canisters ranging from the FX5 to the old gen 103's. I've had multiple issues with leakage, air buildup within the canister and broken impellers/warped motor heads. If I could afford to buy as many eheims I would have. I purchased all my canisters either used or sold new on ebay. IMO, fluvals aren't worth paying retail. Interestingly enough, they have a factory/offices here in edmonton.

I have over 10 Fluval Canisters ranging from the FX5 to the old gen 103's. I've had multiple issues with leakage, air buildup within the canister and broken impellers/warped motor heads. If I could afford to buy as many eheims I would have. I purchased all my canisters either used or sold new on ebay. IMO, fluvals aren't worth paying retail. Interestingly enough, they have a factory/offices here in edmonton.

Really?! I'd love to walk in and ask for replacement parts .I've ordered some and am still waiting 2 months later, as well as they are rediculously priced.

Eheim classic canisters or Fluval FX5 (no other model) for me....I have also had good success with PennPlax Cascades...I do not like the New Marineland canisters, though.

I agree 100% with Toirtis.

if your tank is larger than 100g i would go with a FX-5. *I have 2 and i love them.*

If your tank is smaller then 100g than the Eheim classic filters are unbeatable.

I'm with Nandopsis on this 100% too. If I could afford the larger Eheims I'd have them on my larger tanks too (of if I could find them used). Can't beat the Eheim Classics. My oldest 2215 has now been running at least 14 years without a single issue. I've never had a worry about buying a used Eheim; can't say I'd feel the same about any other filter out there.