Brown Algae

duff

I set up a newer tank with a sand substrate. I have read that between 2 and 12 weeks you can have a Brown Algae outbreak.

And it is caused by silica and phosphates being out of wack and it will correct itself and disapear.

Question I have is.. When the say disappear.. Do they mean literally or they mean after I clean it a few times it wont come back...

Because it is getting pretty ugly in there and I dont know how long I should wait before starting to rub it off stuff..

Question I have is.. When the say disappear.. Do they mean literally or they mean after I clean it a few times it wont come back...

Based on my own experiences with brown algae, you're going to have to clean it off...... eventually you just won't have to scrub everything so often.

I pretty much leave the stuff on some of the rocks and the back of the tank, I keep it off the front and sides of the glasses....One good thing about the stuff is that it comes off really easily, on the flip side, it's EXTREMELY ugly, especially if you have some whiter rocks in the tank. I've been hearing the whole theory about the algae dissapearing after a few weeks, but it's never happened for me..

bristle nose will help alot but scrubbing always comes in. just scrub the little patches left when you can't stand the look.

:thumbs: Brown Algae. You will be doing lots of scraping...lol The best thing I found was

#1 Bn Placo,s

#2 Lots of water changes

And #3 the big one is use Aqua- Pure cut to fit filter pad.

It's a Phoshphate Remover and Algar needs Phosphate to grow.

It also works to remove other Waste and debris.

Use it in every filter and tank that I have

Try it you will love it.

Use them all together and it will be gone.

"Brown Algae" isn't really an algae, it's diatoms. They do great with silicates (from the sand) and lower light. Otos will eat that before just about anything else (as werner mentioned)!!

Once most of the silicates have leached out of the sand, you'll see a decline in your diatom bloom. Larger/more WC may speed up that process.

I just had this problem in my shellie tank. It's been pretty for about two weeks but a couple of days ago it started to clear up. Brown on the rocks and on top of that green water :grr:

It's much better now though. A good thing with shellies is that they constantly dig so the brown stuff doesn't stick. I still got some brown stuff on the rock but it's starting to flake off.