Guppy tank in trouble dunno what it is to start treatment

BlackMumba

i've taken a closer look at my tanks, and now see that my tank is affected as well. I only notice the parasite in my apistos, my one keyhole, a couple of my honey gourami, my emporer tetras and that's it. I do not see any signs of it in my corys, yoyo loach, long fin goby, both plecos, L. curviceps, F1 green sevrum, my synadontis or my HRP. All fish have been in that tank for the same amount of time, so why are only some of them affected? I also look at Lancelot my male betta, and see that he has it as well. I don't even know where to begin trying to treat this.

Oh, no... if it was the fish I gave you I am so so so sorry !! I had no idea!! I feel so completely responsible ... IF I had any notion that she could have this I would have never let her go....she wasn't even in the same tank... and the girls tank they all looked so healthy and happy and they still do, i just don't understand!! .. its just recently within the past few days I have noticed changes in all my fish...

I am going to give you the proper name of medicines that should have been recommended to me.. (thanks to the person who sent me the correct information)

Piperazine; "Pipezine or "Panacur" like you said from the vet's office.. I am hunting this stuff down ASAP ... i just paid 40 bucks for meds that are useless!!

I also read that this worm is more likely to affect livebearers/labryinth fish/something else the name escapes me... thats prob why only some of the fish have it while others do not...

I am pretty sure she isn't the one who gave it to my tanks. from the looks of it, I've had it for a while. I'm thinking of doing a complete overhaul and quarantine of the affected fish....I planned on redoing my tank anyways..lol. atleast there is a bright side to all this. I do have some of both the liquid and powdered forms of panacur. I'm just unsure of the concentration levels needed for treatment.

If it makes you feel better I'm pretty sure the female you gave me is not infected.

I am pretty sure she isn't the one who gave it to my tanks. from the looks of it, I've had it for a while. I'm thinking of doing a complete overhaul and quarantine of the affected fish....I planned on redoing my tank anyways..lol. atleast there is a bright side to all this. I do have some of both the liquid and powdered forms of panacur. I'm just unsure of the concentration levels needed for treatment.

If it makes you feel better I'm pretty sure the female you gave me is not infected.

She prob would need treatment too, just in case! I am sad this has effected us, but glad that I had asked these questions, I am just baffled that no fish pharmacial company hasn't developed a medicine that is readily available to the public for fish!!! ... This is obviously a fairly serious parasite! I dont know if its because of its potency of the medicines that is a reason or what...

Sorry lilwolf, glad you discovered it before any loss of a fish friend. :cry:

well i did lose three apisto to it and put down one emporer tetra. so far I've gotten the female betta and most of the 29 g to eat some panacur medicated blood worms. I will be doing another treatment when I get home today, as well as two more treatments tomorrow. I'm just hoping out of all the fish I have that my male betta survives, the black ones are harder to find. especially for the price I got him for. I think I might talk to my vet one of these days, to see if she can get me some more panacur. If so, I'll let you know, and send some your way. Right now both bettas are housed in seperate jars....just in case the female doesn't have it yet. I don't want her getting it if she doesn't. I think I'm going to do the three more treatments, then I'm gonna do a complete overhaul of the tank. Which will include sterilizing it. I'd rather deal with ick and stressed fish than this stupid worm. Once I know for sure that the fish are okay, I'll put in new gravel....but the old stuff has got to go. I'm sick of it anyways. YAY!!!...<sarcastically of course> Should be a fun process. Definately a learning experience.

well i did lose three apisto to it and put down one emporer tetra. so far I've gotten the female betta and most of the 29 g to eat some panacur medicated blood worms. I will be doing another treatment when I get home today, as well as two more treatments tomorrow. I'm just hoping out of all the fish I have that my male betta survives, the black ones are harder to find. especially for the price I got him for. I think I might talk to my vet one of these days, to see if she can get me some more panacur. If so, I'll let you know, and send some your way. Right now both bettas are housed in seperate jars....just in case the female doesn't have it yet. I don't want her getting it if she doesn't. I think I'm going to do the three more treatments, then I'm gonna do a complete overhaul of the tank. Which will include sterilizing it. I'd rather deal with ick and stressed fish than this stupid worm. Once I know for sure that the fish are okay, I'll put in new gravel....but the old stuff has got to go. I'm sick of it anyways. YAY!!!...<sarcastically of course> Should be a fun process. Definately a learning experience.

I have to agree with you I would much rather Ick then these things... Trying to find the right medicine is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack... all the vets will not help, don't know how to help and are reluctant, to find meds that have the ingredients required to rid these parasites are not found locally... and the LFS don't carry anything specific to combat them. SIGH !! I am still trying to medicate with what was recommended to me even though I read last night on their manfactures website that it does not cure Camellanus at all, but cures most anything else... which is a wonderful thing, except its not what I need right now..

On a happier note, I have found food that is medicated with the ingredients I need to cure my fishy friends, but I might still loose alot of already infected fish!! The three ingredients in this food are as follows!

Metronidazole - still reading on this i am at work inbetween trying to combat that damn paper pusher!! Any effective drug to kill this creature??? LOL

Praziquaintel - recommended to kill roundworms but inaffective

Levaminsole ------ reportedly the best to combat these guys

I am also going to check out the over the counter worm medications, for required ingredients.... but to obtain the Panacur I have no such luck!! I might have to loose all my fish!!! Called alot of vets too .. no not one willing to touch this area! ...

I hope this food is the end all to my problems!

Have to called G and E pharmacy

G & E Pharmacy

7326 82 Avenue NW

Edmonton, AB T6B 0G2

(780) 469-7667

Did you have a vet? call them and explain what you need and why. I once got some Metronidazole tablets from my vet. HE was interested in what I needed them for and just asked that I print off some info for him to read about what I was doing.

Krystle(guppulove1985) took her goldfish to a vet loacted somewhere in the north end. You could try asking that vet.

I have successfully treated this parasite with levasimole. Prazipro & metro will not kill this parasite so I would save your medications for some time when you need them. Levasimole hydrochloride is the only thing to use. You treat the tank once, leave the medication in for 24-36 hrs. - do complete water changes and use carbon is remove all medication. You can repeat the treatment in 2-3 weeks however I did not. I was able to get this medication from a source in BC.

I have successfully treated this parasite with levasimole. Prazipro & metro will not kill this parasite so I would save your medications for some time when you need them. Levasimole hydrochloride is the only thing to use. You treat the tank once, leave the medication in for 24-36 hrs. - do complete water changes and use carbon is remove all medication. You can repeat the treatment in 2-3 weeks however I did not. I was able to get this medication from a source in BC.

Yeah, I have been doing alot of reading on the subject, and yes I have contacted all the vets I know of from exotic vets in edmonton, to hog vets in leduc... only one vet seemed interested and he doesn't carry Panacur... he recommended a off the shelf de-wormer.

I have this food source... its Anti-parasite medicated fish food for internal parasites.

Its by Jungle

Here is the active ingredients:

Metronidazole - 1.0%

Praziquantel - 0.5%

Levamisole - 0.4% This is the best known cure for Camellanus - we don't get it here in Canada apparently... but this food source has this amount medicated in...

Directions to use ; feed for 3 days consecutive days, for four weeks.

I am also going to do huge amounts of water changes all the tanks but one is bare bottom. I will keep with the other treatment, for secondary infections etc...

Since I can not get Panacur this is my best option atm... hopefully no more fish loss's. I had come home to find all my fish alive but they are some not well still they did eat the food except my weakest ones, I am hoping they will nibble what is on the floor of their tanks...

Here's to hoping ! :boxed:

I am hoping that doing alot of water changes with the fish eating the meds, eventually I will have a worm free zone... I wish there was something I could put into the water to clear them out for good!

I have also noted, that I will keep these types of foods on hand so that when I get new fish, guess what they are going to be getting done! DE FRIGGIN WORMED !

Where can one find this Levasimole hydrochloride? I'm in red deer, and don't get out of town much. I'm currently using the panacur I have on hand. I might see about talking to someone I know who might be able to get me more. We'll see. Regardless, I'm going to remove the gravel from my tank and get rid of it. Gives them one last place to hide. The food sounds like an idea, but I have no idea where to find it here in red deer. I'll have to look around tomorrow.