Guppy tank in trouble dunno what it is to start treatment

BlackMumba

Well, I am hoping someone can help me... I have Guppies never any problems before, then about a month ago I lost the oldest Guppy I had she looked like she had one too many fry, she was very very skinny her gills were flaring, but under near her anal cavity her body looked split up...I figured oh no she held too long.

Okay I put her down she didn't need to suffer, then the next day the second one same thing, but worse she was torn things were hanging skinny as ever oh no, but she was already dead! I seen these RED strings hanging from the anal cavity in both fish but I thought well it must be their insides coming out of the torn area!

Okay, so I left the tank no more deaths, guppies are safe and sound.. now, I moved them to the older fry holding tank to make room for my other fish...

They have been in this tank for over 1 month and a half... nothing happening.

Well yesterday I noticed that all my female adults are now skinny very skinny with gills rapidly moving back and forth... the I lost my yellow female...I started to use Melafix with Primafix, two days now treatment!! This seems to help the ladies they are eating but extremely thin... one pinches her tail fin here and there but the other stopped doing that, I have done two water changes since then doing almost 50%

I looked tonight after a water change in the anal cavity again I see this red long strings hanging from both of them, similiar in appearance as the first two mentioned..!!

I added some salt to the water, not alot cause I have also added Melafix... I don't know what I am dealing with here...

Internal parasite ???? I have parasite guard I am thinking to add that tomorrow?

Any ideas on what this is, now how to stop it, my fry in are in there, there is a red spot internally on some of them afraid they might have whatever it is too, I don't want to loose these fry as they are marking really nicely and would like to breed them to develop a strain I am working on!! I already picked my favorites !! Argh!! HELP !!

:unsure:

man your good, I tried to search everything from Parasites too worms in fish .. couldn't find what it was ... thanks, I believe you are correct... sounds like the same damn thing, only problem is... they recommend ANIMAL DEWORMER to cure it!!!! Fenbendazole!! ARGH... normal meds don't get rid of them either....

Okay back to more reading up on this!! This worm eats them to nothingness! It's crazy!

well fenbendazole is in Panacure. Which I do believe is a de wormer for cattle. or other big farm animals.

Don't they have a fish medication I can buy to cure this... I am now concerned that all my fish are effected as I was sharing the vaccum...

I am going to treat them all just in case as you can't tell until 2 or 3 weeks after the fact.. I don't want it to be going back and forth to each tank.. I would just like this GONE..

My poor fish look horrible within days... wasting diease is what its called as well, and thats exactly what my guppies look like... I also lost my daughters betta which was in another tank.... I didn't see anything wrong with him other then very thin... I tried to medicate him with primafix and metafix, i didn't see any worms but now I am wondering if he got this as well.

Go to G&E pharmacy on the south side. I believe they sell animal vacines etc. along with regular pet supplies. Try giving them a call.

I ran to Big Al's for Lunch... got some meds left them in the car but he said they are effective which has the chemical that is needed to kill these ... as well as another med to add with the food.. I will once I get home post the name of the meds in case someone else might have the same problem...

I am going to try these hopefully these will work, he said I sound see the worms either fall out of the fish in 24 hours....

Treatment for 2 -3 weeks ... once a week adding this stuff..

This meds aren't cheap either I hope they work, I asked if he had to use this before and were they effective he claimed he had and it was very effective...

crossing my fingers...

I really hope it works; I've been following this and my heart goes out to your poor little ones. What a horrible way to die. I hope no more of them do.

Thanks, I hope as well, I also hope that its only in the one tank, and not affecting all the others, but they will be undergoing treatment just in case, these worms do not wave hi at you like other illness's.. it alluded me for over a month without sign of illness...

I will make notes of treatment/meds and duration of treatment!

:mad: :angry: Nasty, nasty worm parasite! Does it look like a red paint brush sticking out of the butt of the fish, when they stop moving. The nasty worm only sticks itself out of the fish when the fish is stationary. Then it is camallanus. My case came with the purchase of some platies, stuck them into my female guppy grow out tank thinking that they were healthy. Boy was I wrong. :cry: Within a few weeks the platies were dead, panic had set in and the guppies were downhill from there. My case was bad, in that I had no real idea how to treat them, internet said animal dewormer-city girl that I am I had no clue where to get such dewormer, nor the dosage as they are not cattle, smaller quanities. So humanily ended it for about 5 guppies and took the tank down, scrubbed it and now it is in storage. I sincerly hope that your case is not like mine. I only thank the fish god that I didn't add them to my main tank or it would have been way worse. I only have one question have you added any new fish lately?? This worm is extremely bad for livebearers, or so my reading has concluded. Best of luck with saving your fish!

:mad: :angry: Nasty, nasty worm parasite! Does it look like a red paint brush sticking out of the butt of the fish, when they stop moving. The nasty worm only sticks itself out of the fish when the fish is stationary. Then it is camallanus. My case came with the purchase of some platies, stuck them into my female guppy grow out tank thinking that they were healthy. Boy was I wrong. :cry: Within a few weeks the platies were dead, panic had set in and the guppies were downhill from there. My case was bad, in that I had no real idea how to treat them, internet said animal dewormer-city girl that I am I had no clue where to get such dewormer, nor the dosage as they are not cattle, smaller quanities. So humanily ended it for about 5 guppies and took the tank down, scrubbed it and now it is in storage. I sincerly hope that your case is not like mine. I only thank the fish god that I didn't add them to my main tank or it would have been way worse. I only have one question have you added any new fish lately?? This worm is extremely bad for livebearers, or so my reading has concluded. Best of luck with saving your fish!

No new fish added to the Guppy tank, new fish to other tanks... the first outbreak started over 2 months ago... then disappeared so I thought it was over until two days ago, I peeked in my guppy grow out tank and low and behold same stuff!!

Btw, I lost another Betta when I got home, he wasn't thin!!! but he I knew wasn't up to his standards I had him in the betta barracks, treated him with again primafix and melafix... he was swimming around last night alright !! No sign of worm in his butt..

I came home, and here he was gasping on the bottom of the tank, I rushed the meds in his barrack to no avail he was past gone... !! I now have in total 3 dead fish in two days...

2 bettas and one guppy, the other two guppies and fry are still hanging in there, they are having some troubles but they aren't as bad as they were... the worms are almost out of the body...

Dunno even if these meds work, I am thinking my entire system is infected I hope the hell not cause I did not expect this at all! They are all in treatment symptoms or no symptoms... I just hope I don't loose all my fish... !! :angry: :cry: :cuss:

IF you use the same equipement(nets, gravel vac etc) in all your tanks there is a chance of transfering the parasite to other tanks.

Did you find out the name of the meds?

Yeah, almost forgot Prazipro and Metronidazole...

Not even sure these are going to work!

i've taken a closer look at my tanks, and now see that my tank is affected as well. I only notice the parasite in my apistos, my one keyhole, a couple of my honey gourami, my emporer tetras and that's it. I do not see any signs of it in my corys, yoyo loach, long fin goby, both plecos, L. curviceps, F1 green sevrum, my synadontis or my HRP. All fish have been in that tank for the same amount of time, so why are only some of them affected? I also look at Lancelot my male betta, and see that he has it as well. I don't even know where to begin trying to treat this.