Cute little schooling fish

Finbert

I'm jumping the gun by even thinking about it, since my office 10gal is nowhere near cycled yet, but I'm thinking when it's ready I'd like to add a little school of something or other. I saw some extremely cute dwarf/mosquito/pygmy/brigittae rasboras and I've kindof fallen for them, but I'm not sure if they're a good idea.

I have a really nice environment developing for them: Lots of plants, low current, and the bogwood seems to have softened and acidified the water somewhat. But in that environment there's also a betta. The rasboras look like the smaller ones would fit in his mouth no problem (he'd have to strain a bit for the bigger ones). If it were just my aquarium, and my money, once the tank was cycled I'd pick up the rasboras and put them in, and if the betta went after them I'd take him out and put him somewhere else. But because I'm spending other people's money, I really want everything to go smoothly and happily. So some questions:

Do you think a betta would be likely to try to eat dwarf rasboras? If so, what are my other options? Tetras, I suppose, but is there anything else?

Thanks!

My very first 'real' tank had a betta with a half dozen little Harlequins, and if the betta ever tried, it was never obvious. Those rasboras are FAST! They just duck and dive out of the way and it's all over... the betta will just get exhausted dragging his fins around and give up.

Instead of going with little drawf/mini ones, I'd suggest the slightly larger Harlequins. They grow to a whopping 2" but it takes a long time to get there (at least a year after purchase). No worries of a betta eating one, too.

Another nice fact: Rasboras (generally) are not fin nippers, so the betta will not be ravaged by their attentions.

My very first 'real' tank had a betta with a half dozen little Harlequins, and if the betta ever tried, it was never obvious. Those rasboras are FAST! They just duck and dive out of the way and it's all over... the betta will just get exhausted dragging his fins around and give up.

Instead of going with little drawf/mini ones, I'd suggest the slightly larger Harlequins. They grow to a whopping 2" but it takes a long time to get there (at least a year after purchase). No worries of a betta eating one, too.

Another nice fact: Rasboras (generally) are not fin nippers, so the betta will not be ravaged by their attentions.

Yeah, the harlequins are nice too. I'll give them some thought. (Although the 2" size is pretty big for a small tank, if I'm going to have enough for them to be a happy little school)

It all depends on the betta. They are such individual fish, you never know how theyll respond! I have never had problems with bettas in community tanks, all mine have been mild-mannered; but I have also heard of bettas running down and killing fish as big as cardinal tetras for no apparent reason. IMO, it all depends on temperment. If its a mild-mannered betta, you could put anything in with it, but an aggressive betta in a ten gallon can be a nightmare to find tankmates for. Most bettas, of course, are somewhere in-between...

Harleys do take a while to grow, but I still dont know if I would put them in a ten. I would try the pygmy rasbora, I dont think they would be any more vulnerable than little juvie harleys. Just my opinion.

If the tank has a soft substrate, you could also give pygmy cories(I have some habrosus, and they are super-cute, active little fish) a try, but they can be difficult to track down sometimes.

IME with two different male Veiltail Bettas, there were no problems between them and the Harlequin Rasboras, smallest being 1 cm to nearlt full grown at 1.5". But like Osprey said, they are (like all fish) individuals to a degree, meaning that you can speculate as to the fish's temperament before purchase, but cannot be sure until it is introduced to the tank and/or tankmates.

Yeah, I guess it really does all depend on the still nameless Mr. Veiltail. From what I can tell about his personality just on his own is that he's fairly smart (comes to the front when I open the lid), extremely brave when it comes to things like fighting his reflection, but skittish about new stimuli - no sudden moves while you're feeding him, or he'll go hide. In any case, there's enough places in there that small fish can fit and bettas can't.

My wife's tank is a betta tank, and she has included a few white cloud minnows and espei rasboras. I really like the espeis, as their colour is brighter than most of the harlequins I've seen. The white clouds are pretty, especially if you get the long-finned variety, but fairly simple as far as behaviour goes: play in the current, eat, play in the current some more. They are not as happy in a low-flow tank like a betta one. As far as fin nipping goes, I have seen none, and they get along really well. There is also a cory, covering the bottom as well as a lot of the water column. He is pretty cool to watch.

I'd encourage you to include some plants in the tank if you have space, also. Hikaru loves to hide and swim through the hygrophilas that are in with him.

Edited by nighthawk

I'd encourage you to include some plants in the tank if you have space, also. Hikaru loves to hide and swim through the hygrophilas that are in with him.

Hey, the espeis and glowlights look pretty neat - always good to have more options!

And ITA about the plants, especially hygro. The betta just loves them and spends a fair amount of time lurking in them.

• 4 weeks later...
cardinals are also nice, and pretty too

I ended up getting some neons, because when I went to Aquarium Enthusiasts on their 2 for 1 day, they only had 2 cardinals left and I wanted more than that. The neons are working out pretty well, and seem happy.