Pembina River

Slough Shark

I went camping at the Pembina River (portion between Evansburg and Entwistle) and managed to waste all my time fishing!! I personally wouldn't call it wasting time because I saw more of the area than anyone else in my family while fishing and fish hunting.

I finally managed to finish editing the pics and decided which ones were good, so I will post a link to the album rather than taking up a crap load of space on the board, once my website is set up, I will just link to that page.

Here's the link (the guest password is "fishhunt")

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/S...a%20River%2007/

C&C most welcome!

Edited by Slough Shark

Thanks guys!

From experience I will say that Juvenile Fish are the hardest to catch, but these river fish are so much more intelligent than still-water fish! I only caught 3 Juvenile Mountain Sucker, 5 Trout-perch, 8 Lake Chub(?) and the one Juvenile Walleye.

I guess you have to be smart and quick to survive in a river like that, but they were extremely challenging for the most part. As usual it was the biggest fish (and the most desired) that were hardest, to have survived so long in that environment they had to have been smart, making them a welcome challenge for me! That Giant Bug is darn ugly! When I flipped over the rock it was hunting under I darn near screamed like a little girl!!

This time Iwas outfitted in my full gear, boots, chest waders and all. I even wore my winter jacket in case of rain! All in all, great trip for those other rare "fish hunters" like me, but I wouldn't reccomend that portion of the river for anglers.

Taylor

Thanks... and you're welcome.

Yeah, no problem. I would say that if you headed up stream a fair bit, you would find some of the trouts, but nothing much at the campground as you can see, bigger walleye as you head down river I suspect (it meets up with the Athabasca).

Expect to see another report next weekend, I'm heading into the bush at the Clearwater River, could get rough. My Uncle (heading out with him and his family) says when he went out this weekend there was snow on the ground and the river was freezing over at night. Prime time for trout fishing I hear though, so I'll brave it for a chance to catch my first trout.

Taylor

yep nice shots..

I use to fish around that area all the time... the only real good fishing time for that river is when the poplar fuzz is flying!

Did you know that there are a couple or three spots in and around Edmonton on the NS that are great fishing areas... I have caught countless gold eye , walleye, pike , various suckers, and even a few spiecies of Trout right inside the city... It always amazed me how few people fish the NS around the city... Maybe that is good!

Closest river to use to target Lake Sturgeon, I'll be checking it out thoroughly nest year, and I'm sure to catch some suckers and goldeye while I'm at it. I'm curious, what kind of trout did you catch?

Brown Trout.....'

You should be able to catch sturgeon in the NS.... I am not sure its leagal however they way to catch them is to have a very heavy line moored to a tree or other large object with a very large hook.... like a meat hook or gattling hook... a large chunk of meat and hurl it out as far as you can and leave it over night and check it the next day or so!

• 4 weeks later...
You should be able to catch sturgeon in the NS.... I am not sure its leagal however they way to catch them is to have a very heavy line moored to a tree or other large object with a very large hook.... like a meat hook or gattling hook... a large chunk of meat and hurl it out as far as you can and leave it over night and check it the next day or so!

In 2007, although Sturgeon fishing is legal by law, there were zero sturgeon tags given out as the population has an enormously slow doubling rate and needs to recover from several years of over fishing.

Edited by BigA